Notices

Day one

Old 09-14-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one

I got really frustrated with my drinking in the last fortnight and felt that my life would crumble if I did not stop. so I set a date (September 15th) its currently 30 minutes into this day (00:30). I should probably go to bed but I found this forum and thought I should touch base. I'm in my 30's and have been drinking excessively for over two years at least. I tried to cut down but that was impossible. All I have to show for my drinking is a disproportionate gut and an empty wallet.

Any advice on the first couple days would be appreciated. I'm keen to make this my first and last attempt to give up. I have been drinking anything from 8 - 12 standard drinks every day and want to change this to zero as of today.

I'm going to keep a journal I think and look back at my old ones to remind myself how messed up I have been.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi First and welcome, glad to have you here!
Old 09-14-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, FirstandLast. Welcome to SR!

And congrats on making a decision to stay sober!

First days may be tough both physically and emotionally. It won't hurt to consult a Doc, but anyway make sure to drink enough water and eat healthy food.

Make a plan what to do when cravings or AV (addictive voice), boredom, stress or other triggers hit you. Get rid of all the alcohol in the house.

Take one day at a time, don't look far ahead now, don't overwhelm yourself with bugging thoughts like "what I gonna tell people, etc).

For me SR has been and still is my sobriety saver, so during my first week I almost lived here). So, post here as often as you need when you need encouragement, support, or advice.

I hit 11 months today, and can tell you - sobriety is absolutely worth fighting for it!

Best wishes to you.

Take care)
Old 09-14-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

First the best way to start is to take it one day at a time. Decide you won't drink TODAY.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome firstandlast, My advice would be to take it one day at a time and dont think too far ahead. Avoid any places or people that may be a trigger to drink. I found keeping myself and my mind busy, eating healthy and walking helped a lot. I also had support and advice from my doctor which was really important. There is a Class of September thread in this forum for anyone giving up drinking this month. You might want to join. Its a good place for daily support from other people who are at a similar stage in recovery. Wishing you well.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You'll find a lot of support here. Here's the link for the class of September thread. Post in there for encouragement from others. It helps.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-4-a.html
Old 09-14-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah join us in September group you'll be among equal strugglers
Old 09-14-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks for your welcome everyone. common theme there: 'one day a time'. I have given myself a week with nothing on to get on top of things. I think Boredom has been my main motivator to drink. So maybe I have put myself in a tough spot. There is plenty I could be doing though, its just that I'm not taking on any responsibilities at this initial stage. One of my plans is to walk my dog more and replicate what I do when I am drunk but do it sober (walk the dog to the shops and walk back but with $20 still in my pocket). I think I am in the right headspace to do this and kind of exited about my potential.

I have a psychiatrist. He said don't be hard on yourself if you relapse. I just remind myself how hard I have been on myself drunk to try not to be in that position ever again.

Thanks for the link too, I have posted on it.

I look forward to not writing stupid stuff on this forum due to not being drunk.

I wrote this in my journal the other day:

Save Money
Loose Weight
Smarten Up!

I'm thinking the first and last will be quick to notice. The middle one will take time and I'm not going to be too hard on myself if I don't get the results I want.

Also, I wrote a letter from my drunk self to my sober self and read it this morning, I think it helped.

Thanks again
Old 09-14-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Keeping a journal is a great idea. And, having a plan is also a great idea. Walking was a big help to me in the early days of recovery, and still is part of my daily routine after all these years.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats First
That first step is a critical one but you are starting a journey. It won't be easy but if you hang here and absorb some of the experiences of folks who have put hopelessness behind them you will understand that it is worth it. Check in on day 3 for some back slapping.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by potatojuice View Post
Check in on day 3 for some back slapping.
shall do potatojuice ill hold off on any posts till then. thanks
Old 09-17-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

day four

Its the beginning of day four.

I forgot to take out the garbage bin last night (had other things on my mind)

I had urges to drink yesterday night, but just having one is not an option for me. It is more painful just having one (and wanting another) than it is to have none.

Its only day four but I feel that there is no way I can let myself turn back to the drink. I don't see it as an option. I have too much of a financial and personal investment in this.

I see my doc in 3 weeks and I don't want to disappoint him or myself. Self discipline has not been my strong point but that is not to say I do not posses it, just that its a bit rusty/underutilised.

Thanks for the advice and support so far.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Nice work, firstandlast . Love that determination in your voice. Keep it up!
Old 09-17-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great job firstandlast. I began to feel much better on Day 4.

I agree - it's more painful to have one than none. (Like, what would be the point?) At the end of my drinking career it was exhausting to try and manage it. It was wonderful to finally be free.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well done, First!!
Old 09-21-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

1 week today.

Last time I was sober for a week was probably 2009 when I went into hospital.

I've been to the pub twice (for gigs) found a new hobby: confusing drunk people when they make requests and/or explaining to them the slump in record production in the 1990's due to the proliferation of CD's...I couldn't think on my toes when I had a couple now im quick to reply and can process information more quickly (I think)
Old 09-21-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congrats on a week, firstandlast!

Keep up the great work!
Old 09-21-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on your week

D
Old 09-21-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great job FandL!!! One week...Woohoo!!!
Old 09-21-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great work, keep it going ! Focus on the positives and rock on FnL !