Notices

Hypnic Jerk? i am withdrawing cant sleep three days

Old 09-12-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hypnic Jerk? i am withdrawing cant sleep three days

I am freaked out right now, although I am better I drank heavily for about 8 days and am not new to benders. I am new however, to withdrawls. Man it was horrible for a couple days there but im on day three and I havent been able to sleep for these last three days. i can my body wont let me i am having what i learned are hypinic jerks. wtf Will this go away? Do I need heavy medication. I am 38 male.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can you see a doctor? You should. Withdrawal has the potential to be very rough physically on you.

Your body will let you sleep in due course. I would not worry too much about that side of it.

See a medic if at all possible!
Old 09-12-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have you spoke to a doctor? I think maybe you should if you can. I haven't heard of the symptom your speaking about so I couldn't even offer any insight. Do you mean your body is making involuntary movements? Like jerks? Or twitches?
Old 09-12-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey .

If you have any concerns I'd definitely speak to your Doctor.

In my personal experience I didn't sleep at all on Day 2, slept a lot on Day 3, back to insomnia on Day 4 and 5. Sleeping patterns are disturbed a lot by alcohol so if, like me, you've only ever passed out through drunkenness rather than falling asleep you will have a hard time getting back to normal. All I can say is you will sleep eventually though it may not seem like it at the moment.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ok I found this on wiki lol maybe this is what's happening but if your worried at all speak to a professional this is purely what I googled ........

According to Marianne Middleton, clinical coordinator at the Lawrence Memorial Hospital Sleep Disorders Center, the occurrence of hypnic jerks can become cyclical. The cycle occurs because, "If you lose sleep because you constantly jerk awake, you will become fatigued and may develop anxiety or worry about falling asleep. The more worried and tired you are, the more likely you are to jerk awake. The more you jerk awake, the more sleep you lose."[4]
Old 09-12-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ps I'm finding getting to sleep and staying asleep a problem and I'm into my fourth week. So it's maybe just your body trying to adjust but 'war cry' if your concerned air on the side of caution and seek medical attention.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Panzer. I'm sorry for what you're going through. I had trouble sleeping normally for at least a week. We've abused ourselves badly and it takes time to heal. I agree with the others - I hope you'll check with a doctor to be safe.

Glad you joined us and are posting about your concerns. Once the poison's out of your system, you never have to go through this ever again.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks guys for the support. I got a few hours last night.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Panzertotem. congrats on your sobriety. I had terrible insomnia for weeks, I am on day 56 (I think). If one more person at AA would have told me "no one has ever died from lack of sleep" I think I would have punched them. It does get better (I got tired of hearing that too) hang in there.