Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Twelve days in and going on a holiday - potential trigger point

Notices

Old 09-10-2013, 11:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi folks

Well, I am now 12 days in and feel absolutley OK about giving up the booze. So far it has not seemed particularly hard to do. SR

My partner and I are off on a driving/sight-seeing holiday to northern Europe today - lots of nice food and drink!

I feel OK about going, I think, and am quite strong in my resolution to continue with my sobriety. I would normally like to drink on these holidays - lovely wines, spirits and beers. I have decided that, instead of having alcohol, that I am going to have a nice cake and coffee instead. This will feel like a 'treat' and food always stopped me from drinking anyway. Much better to do it on an empty stomach in my opininion. Better 'hit'!

I am just hoping that the 'go on treat yourself....you're on holiday' thought doesn't pop into my head. Will apply AVRT if it does.

Any other folks on here have holiday abstinence strategies?

Old 09-10-2013, 11:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Good luck and have fun! Maybe you are able to access us just in case you need to on your phone?

And congrats on 12 days!
Old 09-11-2013, 12:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Not drinking wasn't too hard for me early on. A court-ordered alcohol tether saw to that. One sip and I'd be headed to jail the next day. I had all sorts of strategies prior to that but none worked consistently for me. They'd work sometimes but not all the time.

Knowing I'd have to be playing these sorts of games with myself for the rest of my life led me in a different direction because I knew enough about my history to know that, sooner or later, my defenses would be down and I'd start it up (drinking) all over again. I had to look beyond just a weekend, a party, or a holiday and figure out what would be the most reliable solution for lifelong sobriety.

In the beginning though, a lot of the times I had to just not go to whatever event it was...I knew I wasn't to be trusted.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Badga, well done. Decide now before you go. No alcohol no matter what. That stragegy has carried me thru. Best wishes.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Badga View Post

Any other folks on here have holiday abstinence strategies?
Given your testimony, if you are even remotely serious, I would avoid anything related to alcohol as if it were the plague. Twelve days in is far too soon to even think about subjecting yourself to the irresistible urges you are going to feel.

I am more than 386 days down the road of 100% sobriety and the only time I find myself around alcohol, or smokers, is when someone is paying me. I do not associate with people that drink or smoke or do drugs.......Nor do I want to.

Cut and dry.
Why jump over a hurdle when you can walk over a stick?

Sorry to be the courier of good news but you and you alone are going to have to find some new friends, some new places to go and some new things to do. That's just the way it is. And if you think about it, why would you want it any other way?

The hardest to learn is the least complicated..
-The Indigo Girls

Good luck and God Bless
Old 09-11-2013, 04:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well to be realistic, he's not going to cancel his holiday. And urges are resistible.

Hi there op. I'm on hols too - an all inclusive where the booze is flowing freely. It's hard because I remember so well how it tastes and the feeling of the hit (I'm only sober about 2 weeks too).

I know, like you know, that I'm not going to drink, but it doesn't mean that we don't feel the beast poking us a little more than usual. Just try and remember why you stopped in the first place. If you don't stop now because of a holiday, when? And what about the next holiday? Etc. there's never any good time to stop. All the best.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Badga,

Your holiday sounds amazing! The one time I got to tour all around Europe I was so....wait for it....wait for it....yep, DRUNK everyday that I pretty much ruined it between hangovers and fighting with my boyfriend.

So, when I read your post I thought of how lovely it would be if I could have a sober do-over. What would I do if given the chance?

What came to mind were the following advantages for a sober holiday-

The lovely smells of incoming fall. No nausea induced by breathing deep.
Being in a 'present' state of mind for the sight-seeing instead of hungover and waiting for the 'real' sightseeing which would be the bottom of endless pints. Yuck..
Feeling well enough in the morning for a lovely, proper and indulgent breakfast. Enjoying every bite!
Holding hands with my partner, stealing smooches with no yucky alkie breath.
Being a helper in the traveling process, not making my partner resentful by doing all the heavy lifting and planning.

I haven't been on holiday yet in my new sobriety, but those are things I would do differently from past vacations. You can tell your AV if it pops up that you have received international reinforcement, heehee!

Hugs from the States and ENJOY every day! Sounds like you're in a great place mentally to really get the best out of your holiday!

Best,
Melina
Old 09-12-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am happy to report that I am doing fine in the land of fine beers and sausage. We are staying in a town where there is a September-Fest going on, so lots of beer everywhere. I feel fine about this though. I do keep reminding myself of why I am doing this as well. Of how beautiful it is to be sober and feel well and healthy.

I am also very, very lucky to have a supportive partner in all of this though. My partner's father and older brother both died young of alcohol-related illnesses. Alcoholism is in his family and so he can understand this and how easy it might be for him to slip down he same route as well. I recognise that I am very fortunate that he understands and supports my decision to stop drinking.

Day 14, wow.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Great work Badga - and thanks for checking in. Fine sausage goes just as good with soda, water or anything else -enjoy the rest of your trip.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It feels strange that two weeks ago I couldn't seem to stop, but now I have. Thanks SR