Notices

Sober living: facing everyday reality

Old 09-09-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober living: facing everyday reality

I went to the dentist today!!

Duh, I hear you say, so what?

It is an ordinary sort of thing, I will admit. A stressful and anxiety provoking one for many of us, but for most 'normal' people one we get on with and get any unpleasantness out of the way.

Not me! While drinking I have, over the years avoided any uncomfortable realities until I have had no choice other than to face then - and then they are usually far harder to deal with in any case!

I went today to register with a new dentist, not because I have a problem I can't put off any longer, but to register and make an appointment for any work that needs doing. As it happens I need four fillings. I didn't enjoy it, but I did it and weird as it may sound I did it because I'm sober. If I was drinking I would have waited for the first unbearable toothache!

Just a small example from me, the boozer who drank to avoid the discomforts of every day life... as well as all the other reasons. Two more appointments booked for the fillings.

Me, 15 days in! I'm childishly rather proud of myself.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

great job mentium i agree, when we drink, the smallest of responsibilities are a hassle.

way to go on 15! have a great sober day.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Woooooot!!! I understand this too although i hate the dentist in general but I too left everything until the last minute when I was drinking.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am over a year sober. Dentist was on my list, did it. Felt good inside when it was finished, like removing another problem from my life, like you have taken care of somthing that you had put off for so long.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sgs

day 25 here and this really hit me. This exactly what I have done. All of a sudden some of my other problems make sense.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You have reason to feel good, 15 days and taking on a dentist.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EndGame

Great that you made it to the dentist, Mentium. It's a huge step. There were many things I wouldn't do while I was drinking, and seeing the dentist was definitely among them. Fact is, I did almost nothing but drink and then go to my dead-end job when I relapsed. When my mind started to clear, I was amazed that the rest of the world continued on without me.

Everyone hates going to the dentist, especially when work is needed. We submit to necessary pain and suffering and have to pay a premium for it each time we go.

Little wonder that dentists traditionally top the suicide list among professionals. They inflict pain, and often hear about it from the people they're trying to help, and no one wants to see them. Add to that the reality that some people don't want to pay them at their rates, and some just refuse or are unable to pay at all.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

hmm ,
OK ... god / synchronicity / universe lesson taken ... making me aware of the new dentist on the corner this morning and now Mentium showing me how to do it , i'll be booking an appointment next pay day .. and the one after ... and probably the one after that 

(got kicked in the mouth when paralyticly drunk a few years ago and have a tempoary repair which has been surviving by denial ever since )

Way to go Mentium

Shallow breathed and non-alcoholicly mouthwashed , Bestwishes, m
Old 09-09-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lol awwwchhhh M kicked in the mouth u musta seriously pissed someone off! Sounds sore!