Notices

going to a bbq messed with my head...ugh frustrated

Old 09-08-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by jstar View Post
So my husband told me last night that we were going to a bbq today at one of his work friends house today. He said there would probably be alcohol at the bbq but we should go anyways. He said he was tired of feeling like our life is on hold and that I can't avoid situations where there is alcohol forever. I have 44 days sober today. I was nervous all last night and this morning anticipating having to be around alcohol today. Not that I thought I would grab a glass and drink it, but that it would screw with my head. Well it did screw with my head we were there 6 hours...way too long for my liking. Almost everyone was drinking except me, my husband and one other lady. And...several of the people were also smoking pot, right in the open in front of everyone. I guess I was the only one that was bothered by it. Anyways I guess I'm just feeling extremely discontented about the whole situation. I didn't drink but I sure wanted to the entire time. Sorry if this post is long, I'm just feeling super crazy and lonely right now. I feel like I couldn't have a good time sober and I couldn't get drunk either. So frustrated. I'm having that "why am I even doing all this recovery crap" conversation with myself. ..again, for the millionth time. Ugh...all I can do is cry
Yeah, you might have to divorce him and move on. It sounds like he is pretty self involved and has his own substance issues going on. You need to decide if you can honestly see a future with this person, and keep in mind the lack of support he is showing you. To me, viewing from the outside, the choice is clear........but only you can make that decision for yourself.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

You CAN have fun sober, but not hanging around a bunch of people getting loaded. There is a whole big world out there where people dont get wasted all the time, and they are happy. You just need to venture out and find them.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
maybe the mentality of those at the party and nasty gossip bothered you most of all?
i don't know the age bracket or type of people, but it sounds boring and the hosts should consider all of their guests needs....the party seems to be centered around booze and pot...juvenile?
gossiping about someone who got help for a problem is just rude.
Thanks fandy...we're all mid-30's or older. Yes juvenile, but I didn't know the host & none of them knew of my issues, so I guess that's just what baffled me was the ignorance of the disease of alcoholism. But when I was drinking I guess I never put much thought into it either till I was in recovery.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post

Y'know I am still not sure I have fully accepted mine either, but the thing is you don't have to to stay sober. I know that my acceptance has increased with more sober time though. I totally stand by the logic that sobriety is something you have to have in order to want it. Fake it til you make it and all that

You did well at the bbq under difficult circumstances Jstar so you should be congratulating yourself. Now you know how unpleasant things like that can be for you you can avoid them in future but then you also know that you can cope if you need to.
Yes...I will be avoiding those situations! I was absolutely not ready to be there!
Old 09-08-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post

If they were satisfied with their own drinking habits and weren't on some level concerned about their own drinking, this would never have occurred. People who can drink safely don't trash people who struggle with alcohol in this way. The exception to this is people who carry a diagnosis of "Big Jerk."
Big jerk....I like that

It was very strange, even one guy was justifying telling everyone he goes every day after work to the bar but he never drinks at home....(reminds me of the readings at the beginning of every AA meeting), but he's not an alcoholic "because alcoholics go to meetings" he actually said that! I giggled to myself at that comment
Old 09-08-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nighthawk8820 View Post

Yeah, you might have to divorce him and move on. It sounds like he is pretty self involved and has his own substance issues going on. You need to decide if you can honestly see a future with this person, and keep in mind the lack of support he is showing you. To me, viewing from the outside, the choice is clear........but only you can make that decision for yourself.
I understand what you are saying, thing is, my husband didn't & doesn't ever drink and he doesn't smoke weed either. These were his friends from work that he rarely hangs out with outside the office. It does show a total lack of support though in my opinion. He would have stayed there all night hanging out, fortunately our kids called and needed us to come home immediately, I was so thankful for that!
Old 09-08-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I think you did very well for 44 days in. 6 hours of that would be a lot for anyone to take.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by jstar View Post
It's so silly cause I went to make him happy and in turn I was miserable the whole time. He never wants to go anywhere or do anything. I was actually surprised that he wanted to go in the first place, totally not like him at all. He is usually very supportive and if I had said I wanted to stay home he probably would have gone without me, but I was trying to please him ya know?
First good on you for not giving in and congrats on 44 days Jstar! That is awesome!

I am a people pleaser and everyone elses happiness and needs always came before my own. I'm no longer obligated to do things that make me feel uncomfortable or put me in a compromising situation when it comes to the alcohol.

My mind frame now is that nothing or no one can be more important than my sobriety. Because if I don't have that, I will have nothing.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyinBC View Post

First good on you for not giving in and congrats on 44 days Jstar! That is awesome!

I am a people pleaser and everyone elses happiness and needs always came before my own. I'm no longer obligated to do things that make me feel uncomfortable or put me in a compromising situation when it comes to the alcohol.

My mind frame now is that nothing or no one can be more important than my sobriety. Because if I don't have that, I will have nothing.
Yes people pleasing is my MO ...to my own detriment 99% of the time.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

The more you say no to people Jstar and set your boundaries the easier it does get. Of course this didn't happen overnight and it takes practice. And you do lose some friends along the way, at least I did. It's not easy to do, but I know for myself, I had to learn to do it. And I still do have problems with it, but I tell you, it has saved my sanity at times saying no!
Old 09-08-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Honestly I feel like hucking every piece of recovery literature into the garbage can at this moment. God I am so mental I can't stand myself. It's like I can't be 2 people. A wife and myself. I'm nearing the F it stage and I know I am but I actually just don't care. I want more than anything for my husband to love me and no matter if I'm drunk or sober one of us isn't happy...
Old 09-08-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Jstar....I am glad you came here and posted about it, and I am sorry it was difficult. I am sure it must have been so frustrating to hear people trashing someone who is trying to get help. Can you imagine a bunch of people standing around joking about someone being a loser for getting chemo?

Six hours is a LONG time, especially with WORK people. Lord, that would have been good for at least 3 bottles of wine in the old days. That is longer than a wedding.

You should be exceptionally proud of yourself...today wasn't a sprint, it was a marathon!
Old 09-08-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

"Longer than a Wedding".....

methinks that your hubby owes you BIGtime....next weekend you pick a good activity (or make him paint something)
Old 09-08-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Six hours is a LONG time, especially with WORK people.
I was gonna say, getting drunk/high with coworkers? Bad idea.