Notices

Rational recovery book

Old 09-13-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I just found out about AVRT last night while I was browsing around on SR as I was trying to get to sleep. I then stayed up till 2am reading everything I could find. I've been struggling with "what is wrong with me" for a long time. I've went to various counselors and they all had some opinion on what they thought was the root of my addiction. But I never felt they were right. I have never felt that Meetings were where I should be either. I'm going to order the book ASAP. I am curious what other areas I can apply AVRT/Rational Recovery techniques. I've have this habit of picking at my skin and I think AVRT could help me there too. Is there any mention of areas other than drink/drug addiction in the book?
Old 09-13-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
quat

I too found RR and their AVRT from browsing the net after seeing mention of it on this site. I have read Rational Recovery the New Cure for Substance Addiction and found it to be extremely helpful. I strongly suggest that anyone trying to end an addiction research RR and AVRT.

There is a thread on the Secular connections forum on this site that talks about using AVRT to help with eating disorders, though I never read the thread perhaps they discuss how those techniques can help with behaviour modifaction.

And I believe a newer publication of RR (the book) has material on applying AVRT to tobacco smoking. Hope that helps, wish you well