Notices

Day 9-I'm actually amazed! But, what is a "plan"

Old 09-03-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 9-I'm actually amazed! But, what is a "plan"

I'm amazed I made it to day 9. I'm amazed I made it through, not only the weekend, but a holiday weekend. I'm amazed because on day 1, I wanted it, but didnt think I'd be able to do it.

But still,
Not a day goes by that I haven't thought "see, you've proven yourself. You can do it. Go ahead and have that glass of wine.

Ugh!
So, when people say "do you have a plan to stay sober?" I guess I don't. I need one. I can't imagine going to a real life AA meeting so I guess for now you guys are my plan

Other than AA or a therapist, what do you all do as a plan to stay sober?
Old 09-03-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, Jasmine. I've been sober over one year and SR has been my "plan." And I plan to take my sobriety one day at a time from here on out. Once before, a couple of years ago, I had about 9 months of sobriety. I was seeing a counselor who specialized in alcohol and substance abuse. It worked for awhile, but I sort of needed a 24/7 forum but not an AA type forum. After a slip up, I did some searching and came across this site. So far so good.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

9 days here too.. and so far SR has been my main help. I did do the crash course on AVRT (it's basically reading) and it was very informative so I bought the book online and am waiting for it. I figured the two together will be a powerhouse! AA isn't quite for me either.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PrincessJasmine View Post
Not a day goes by that I haven't thought "see, you've proven yourself. You can do it. Go ahead and have that glass of wine.
You need a way to talk to yourself when you have thoughts like you mentioned above.

For example, you have a craving, you can either act on it and drink or you can not drink. To help you not drink you could force yourself to think of what can happen if you take the first drink. Will that one drink lead to more drinks? Will you get drunk? Will you then pass out? Wake-up in the middle of the night sick? Have a brutal hangover the next morning? Miss work? In other words, imagine you do take a drink and then play the scenario through in your head and really see what happens once you do take that first drink.

I'm assuming you're usually unable to have just one or two glasses of wine.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The "Bullets for my Beast" slide show thing has been enough for me so far (11 months now without a drink).
Old 09-04-2013, 02:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ten days here! No formal plan, but I do attend AA meetings (here in the UK they are very non-religious if that is important to you - as it is to me) and I read and contribute here. I have also made a couple of friends through AA and have plans to meet them for coffee etc. which seems a good idea.

I feel like I should have more of a plan, particularly to fight urges if they arise. So far they haven't as I feel so committed. Any ideas from others for that?

Good luck with your progress!