Notices

Questions from others

Old 09-03-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I was just out the other night and someone offered me a shot. I said "No thanks, I don't drink." He then shook my hand and said something like "There's nothing wrong with that" or "That's ok".

It hit me wrong for some reason, just for a moment. I said "I know."

Thank goodness he didn't try to force it on me! But really, he had to shake my hand? Isn't that weird?
Old 09-03-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=13unluckyforsom;4158461]Lol 'perform a chore' it's just a habit for us lot putting the kettle on - takes two minutes max to make a cuppa tea[/QUOTE

The kettle never gets time to get cold over here
Old 09-03-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Oh I've definitely experienced plenty of people trying to force me to eat their food. Maybe it's a southern thing. Or maybe it's something about trying to "fatten" you up. Probably an American thing. People get crazy down here about you eating the food they offer.

But if anyone gives me grief about not drinking alcohol, I'll probably tell them to get out of my face and give them a go to hell look. I don't play around with some things, lol.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Being a Yank. it's natural for us to offer say coffee to a guest , but more like if it's already in the pot.
In the last few years I read a bunch of Rankin novels(Rebus, anyone?) and it really stuck out how' bloody' nice everyone is across said pond. It seems it is practically incumbent to not only offer tea , but to actually take the time to get the kettle on! I mean sure I may pour you a cup or glass of something, but out of the blue perform a chore just cause you showed up, not sure!
Lol. That's just because you're in NJ.

Try visiting the South, or the deep north (Minnesota, Wisconsin). In my limited experience, you show up for a visit there and you get tea AND coffee AND pie AND, sometimes, a takeaway plate or a bag of extra veggies from the garden. I think I put on 5 pounds in creamed coffee and kuchen alone last time I was up north.

Where I live now we do more of a "hey, can I getcha something?" than an "eat Eat EAT of my bounty!" thing.

*Edited to add that I know the Canadians in this forum will quite rightfully laugh at me for thinking of Minnesota and Wisconsin as the deep north, but, it's frikkin cold up there! I think there's actually a big wall of ice at the top of the States and nothing but mammoths and ice monsters and superhuman Canadians with genetic enhancements to survive in the tundra beyond.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi rocks, I think it says something about that person. Probably that they don't want to drink alone. You are doing great. Keep going.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AllieB View Post

*Edited to add that I know the Canadians in this forum will quite rightfully laugh at me for thinking of Minnesota and Wisconsin as the deep north, but, it's frikkin cold up there! I think there's actually a big wall of ice at the top of the States and nothing but mammoths and ice monsters and superhuman Canadians with genetic enhancements to survive in the tundra beyond.
In Canada we think they have mild winters in Minnesota and Wisconsin
Old 09-07-2013, 07:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by asoberliferocks View Post
Why do people badger you when you don't drink anymore and decline a drink? When you think about it, we don't do that to any other food or drink item except booze.
Good question. Like Sober Jennie I have found that people often do push food especially at holiday and other celebratory times, in fact I've been guilty of it myself as a hostess (not anymore). I find there is much less badgering if I have a glass of something non-alcoholic, then I can quite honestly say I'm fine thanks, I have a drink, then I go on with the general conversation.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by asoberliferocks View Post
Why do people badger you when you don't drink anymore and decline a drink? When you think about it, we don't do that to any other food or drink item except booze. I never remember anyone asking over and over, you sure you don't want pie? You sure you don't want pie? Why don't you like pie anymore? This pie is so great, just have a little slice. Lucky for me I am strong (1.5 years clean). Maybe a good come back line from now on should be, I am allergic to wine so if I take a sip I will vomit on you in three minutes? You still want me to have some?? HA!!
Obviously you've never been on a diet....

Kari
Old 09-07-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
In Canada we think they have mild winters in Minnesota and Wisconsin
Lol. Like I said: superhuman.

I think I could hack Vancouver, but any further north or inland and I'd need the full genetic enhancement upgrade. And a portable Franklin stove tied to my back.