A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Great news!
Old 08-26-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA member

Hope it goes well.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

13. May I suggest you listen and identify instead of compare. I compared that so much didn't happen to me that I heard and someone suggested to add the word YET. Your Eligible To. BE WELL
Old 08-26-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you. I hope it goes well and please update us when you get back.

Originally Posted by visch1 View Post
I compared that so much didn't happen to me that I heard and someone suggested to add the word YET.
I was just thinking about this the other day. I was having a smoke before a meeting and there were two Harley Davidson motorcycles parked right next to each other. They were a different color but the body style was the same. As I looked them over I started to see the differences. The foot pegs were different, the mirrors were different, the HD emblem was different and so on. Then it hit me.

If I stopped looking for the items that were different and looked at the items that were alike, the items alike WAY outnumbered the items that were different.

Sometimes it is just a matter of changing the way you view things.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

let us know how you get on Emily

D
Old 08-26-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No half measures

That is a huge step in the right direction. What kept me coming back was that I could not deny that I felt better after every meeting. I hope you do too.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well I went - I'm not too sure what my thoughts are - I certainly identified with a lot of the things said - it's too early for me to tell if its something that is right for me - I'd say I need a combination of therapies to get better and this may be one of them. I'm going to give it a go with an open mind - everyone was really friendly and yeah.... Huge step tonight for me. I'd never have saw myself in a million years sitting in an AA Meeting - but there I was - I'm letting it sink in day by day that I am an alcoholic. I know it but there's still the part of me - the devil in me niggling away at me telling me I'm not that bad. But I am. And I'd only get worse so day by day. Had really bad urge to get drunk today so I had to go to the meeting tonight. Even if it was just to keep me sober for today then it was worth it.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your support this forum is another wee crutch for me to replace the alcohol and I appreciate it and I've only been here a few days. So thanks everyone
Old 08-27-2013, 12:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 13unluckyforsom View Post
Even if it was just to keep me sober for today then it was worth it.
Yes it is and it was a huge step. I am glad it went well. Keep coming back.

You said it will only get worse day by day, well that is the way it gets better too. One day at a time.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was so stuck on me when I went to an AA meeting, that I thought everyone was crazy except for me. I could not understand why ANYONE would give up drinking, to sit in a meeting, talk about not drinking, and have a cup of coffee to replace. 5 years later... I came back to AA ... This time, i stayed only to hear my story within everyone else. That is when I realized that I do need other Alcoholics as a support because no one else around me understood; they did. Keep coming back to your meetings, because it works if you work it. A lot of people will say "hurry up and find a sponsor and work the steps as soon as possible..." Take your time to feel out the program, listen, and than make the decision to approach another female who shares your common story. Best advise I can give you about picking a sponsor: when you pick a sponsor, make sure that female has a sponsor as well. Best wishes and keep up the great work!
Old 08-27-2013, 04:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndStage View Post
I was so stuck on me when I went to an AA meeting, that I thought everyone was crazy except for me. I could not understand why ANYONE would give up drinking, to sit in a meeting, talk about not drinking, and have a cup of coffee to replace. 5 years later... I came back to AA ... This time, i stayed only to hear my story within everyone else. That is when I realized that I do need other Alcoholics as a support because no one else around me understood; they did. Keep coming back to your meetings, because it works if you work it. A lot of people will say "hurry up and find a sponsor and work the steps as soon as possible..." Take your time to feel out the program, listen, and than make the decision to approach another female who shares your common story. Best advise I can give you about picking a sponsor: when you pick a sponsor, make sure that female has a sponsor as well. Best wishes and keep up the great work!
Thank you and ill defo bear that in mind. I've really no idea how the whole thing works but I guess it's like everything new - you gotta learn as you go
Old 08-27-2013, 04:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

As a newcomer myself I can tell you that even if just to keep you sober for now keep coming.. Doesn't matter the reason! The thing is getting support or just talking to someone that knows what you are going thru in person makes a big difference. I wasn't sure about AA and now it is my therapy along with the steps and my sponsor. That is what worked for me. I truly believe that only an alcoholic can truly understand me. Just keep trying one day at the time.. The rewards are amazing, I truly like being sober! Sober is my new best friend..
Old 08-27-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

gotta big book yet? if not, google" big book online" . the first 164 pages are the program and you may relate to a lot of that. the rest is personal stories and you may relate to them,too. well, the rest isn't all personal stories. theres some good stuff after them,too.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Tom - I actually hadn't thought of googling the big book to be honest. I will have a scout later
Old 08-27-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great to hear that you went and had an open mind to it all. This is a day to day quest so stay focused and go to the meetings and stay consistent coming here and using the tools that is my goals. And my enlighenment date was 08/26/2013 (Yesterday) I day down life to go.