Notices

Hi from a newbie

Old 08-24-2013, 01:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi from a newbie

Hi

I'm happy to have found this forum! I'm 3 days sober - yikes!. I'm very good at getting sober, just not very good at staying that way. This time around I'm pulling out all the stops. So far so good - feeling great, clear head, energised - but my problem has always been keeping it going. I'll go 10-30 days and think oh I'm doing so well, feeling so great I'll go out for beers why not - a week later I'm back to drinking daily, soon after that in the morning. So, yeah, not working.

I never did well with AA, nothing wrong with the program just did not really work for me. Thus very happy to find this forum.

I'm committed! Exercising every morning really gives me the encouragement to not drink that day - so committed to doing it everyday. I'm committed to eating healthy. I'm committed to avoiding events where people are drinking - parties, clubs, etc for several weeks. For the first time I've started a Sober Jar. I figured I used to spend on average $20 a day on booze, so just before bed I put $20 in the jar. Thinking of the act of putting the money in the "bank" keeps me thinking of reaching the end of the day without drinking - working for me. After 30 days I'll have $600 that I normally would have thrown down my throat and like back up again.

Yes just 3 days, but I'm so encouraged this time. I'm a better person without alcohol in so many ways. I just need to keep reminding myself that no matter how good I feel as a result of being sober for a period of time, I can't start drinking again.

So - hello and I'm glad to be here.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR and hey - it's not 'just 3 days'...IT IS THREE days

Well done!
Old 08-24-2013, 02:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Three days is great!
Great idea with *banking* the money. I hate to think how much I have wasted over the years!
X
Old 08-24-2013, 02:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome ;-) ..what a great idea re the banking
Old 08-24-2013, 03:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have just 3 days too; now for the weekend. I am encouraged...
Old 08-24-2013, 04:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations and welcome. May you journey along the path of sobriety be joyous and freeing. I found it needed total self honesty and willingness to not pick up the FIRST drink. Unfortunately " never did well with AA, nothing wrong with the program just did not really work for me." was my thinking for 2 horrendous years until I was convinced that it works if we work it. Many years later I feel the same. Good luck and try sharing on this forum as there is great help here.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello bajosunset! Congrats in 3 days!! I'm glad you found SR too. Keep coming back, it really does help!!!
Old 08-24-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, it sounds like you have a good plan in place.