Notices

Here's a positive post... I Feel...

Old 08-22-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Talking Here's a positive post... I Feel...

I am a few months into my sobriety, with only a couple of slips that I won't be repeating. I feel much better physically and emotionally. Right now I am going on 3 weeks of no cravings or urges. I am attending AA and getting the most out of it with my sponsor. I check in here daily - I truly believe SR is my best resource.

I Feel: Relaxed - Confident - Enthusiastic - Hopeful - Optimistic - Productive - Real.

I have identified my triggers and have worked out plans to neutralize them.

My relationship with my spouse has improved so much. He is starting to trust me more and I have access to our money again. He has had all my cards and checks since May. I can tell you that the simple act of not having any money at all makes it easier to ignore the cravings to go to the store.

I am playing more with the kids - not yelling as much. It is like I have been replaced with super mom!

My work is going well - I finally have a publication date for my book. I never would have gotten this date if I didn't stop drinking. I would still be sitting at the computer with a drink in one hand and a blank document on my screen.

I am finishing up the 4th step - it was hard to think about the past. But I know that if I want to grow as a person and not exist as a dry drunk - I have to tackle the steps with 100% effort.

The physical changes are remarkable. I am back to caring about my appearance. I have improved my diet (although I have transferred my addiction to popsicles!) and maybe, just maybe, I will start to exercise. I have always kept my weight acceptable by diet alone - I bet a 90 year old woman with asthma could beat me in a race. So - who knows!

Overall - I feel happy.

Thanks for being a part of my recovery - you all rock!

Laura
Old 08-22-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for your post, Laura. It's real nice to hear the positives.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your progress. All the work shows so much progress in being sober. I will say for myself that the 4th step is an ongoing work in progress because some days my built in forgetter is working overtime. BE WELL
Old 08-22-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Way to go!
Old 08-22-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hmmmmm.....

A couple of slips?

What does that mean?

Has it really been a couple of months or, are you deluding yourself?

Not trying to tick you off but the "slips" word bothers me.

My late Mother told everyone she stopped smoking. Yet secretly continued to hide cigarette butts on top of her China cabinet for years. Thus, I pay far more attention to the little things people say and/or do than the big things.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Now I want a popsicle, too!!
Old 08-22-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am not deluding myself, thanks for asking. I am trying for a positive post here. I stopped drinking in April. I had a 2 hour slip in June and a 3 hour slip in July. I didn't turn it into a binge. And I started my number over the day following each. I didn't say my date in this post, I said in my sobriety. (should have said quest for sobriety) Technically, for date purposes, I have 23 days.

I am not going to forget the 142 days that I have not picked up a drink. To me - they are important. Just like posting my positives in this thread is important. I need to see the positive in order to move forward.

And NO - I am not hiding liquor on the top of my china cabinet.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DG0409 View Post
Now I want a popsicle, too!!
I found the best lime ones in my local grocery. I ignore the sugar count and concentrate on the fact that I am contributing to the 8 glass a day of water rule.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Fab positive post Laura - good for you!! Good luck with the exercise too - I'm still battling with that one - 'all the gear, no idea' xxxxx
Old 08-22-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi earthsteps, Awesome!
Old 08-22-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by earthsteps View Post
I have 23 days.
“A strong man cannot help a weaker unless the weaker is willing to be helped, and even then the weak man must become strong of himself; he must, by his own efforts, develop the strength which he admires in another. None but himself can alter his condition.”
― James Allen, As a Man Thinketh

Thank you for being honest.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad you are reaping the rewards of your sobriety Laura. Sending my best wishes your way for your continued recovery.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ok, well. I never set out to be dishonest, I was just feeling good about my progress and started typing. If I could change my first post, I would say "a few months since I started my recovery program." I just wanted to post the positives to stopping the binge drinking I was doing.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

earthsteps...

i want to thank you for this post. your journey has been amazing for me to read, and i'm so happy that you're doing so well and sharing that with us!

you rock!
Old 08-22-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks! I am really trying to make positive (and lasting!) changes in my life. I only started drinking 2 years ago, but in those two years - whew! I did some damage to my body, mind, and pocketbook.

I am just glad I am making progress, one day at a time. I have my program, I have my support system, and I am starting to have real confidence in myself. Constantly letting people down (while drinking) weighed heavily on my conscience. My amends are coming. Yes they are!

Taking it one day at a time while never forgetting the hell I came from.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Hahaha! You cross addicted to popsicles too?? I absolutely looooove the Pop Ice plastic sleeved pops. I eat them pretty regularly. So satisfying!
Old 08-22-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes!!! I never bothered with them before - now I can't get enough. I have to hide when I have them though, I have a 4 and 5 year old. I will never get any peace if I don't!
Old 08-22-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great post Laura,very positive & uplifting, thanks
Old 08-22-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for reading my post everyone!
Old 08-22-2013, 04:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Laura, Yes I agree that you are being honest and sincere with yourself and with all the friends here on SR. May I ask a rather newbie kind of question? Here goes, what is a "slip"?
Does that mean a sip of alcohol, or a six pack, one pill or ten? The thought? What are everyone's feelings regarding communion at church? If juice isn't offered, does that 3cc of wine considered a "slip?" Is a "buzz" or falling down drunk a slip? I'm very curious what everyone thinks is a slip. Anyway Laura, continue with your wonderful progress and like I tell my girls, being sober ain't that bad, hold tight to your support system and keep posting! Hugs to you! TF