Notices

Here's a positive post... I Feel...

Old 08-22-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Originally Posted by Twofish View Post
Hi Laura, Yes I agree that you are being honest and sincere with yourself and with all the friends here on SR. May I ask a rather newbie kind of question? Here goes, what is a "slip"?
Does that mean a sip of alcohol, or a six pack, one pill or ten? The thought? What are everyone's feelings regarding communion at church? If juice isn't offered, does that 3cc of wine considered a "slip?" Is a "buzz" or falling down drunk a slip? I'm very curious what everyone thinks is a slip. Anyway Laura, continue with your wonderful progress and like I tell my girls, being sober ain't that bad, hold tight to your support system and keep posting! Hugs to you! TF
Good question! This is my opinion only - others have different opinions depending on their program.

It is my thought that a slip is a momentary lapse of judgment leading to a drink or drug, but stops before it causes a relapse.

I think a slip would be a few drinks and then back to the program. To me a relapse is when you keep going and start up with the behaviors that lead you to alcoholism. I think there also is another category - an oops. Like if you picked up a cup you thought was yours and you had a sip of vodka. I think that is accidental.

I believe it would require you to start "day 1" again if you have either a slip or relapse. I don't think you have to if it is accidental.

My slips were minor - a few drinks that did not lead to intoxication. I actually stopped myself because I knew what road I would go down if I didn't. So, I have two slips since April. I have acknowledged the reason for my slips and have set up a way to avoid them in the future.

Does that make sense?

I am not sure about communion. Or cough medicine. Or cooking wine.

As I said - this is my personal opinion and it does not reflect the opinions of others. I am new to recovery - and I am navigating the newbie path.