Notices

I want to go grab a bottle so bad.....

Old 08-18-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Eat something sweet-- ice cream, cookies, candy, cake...that will help with the cravings.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Just took a hot shower....about 2 hours left....countdown....
Old 08-18-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eleni58 View Post
Eat something sweet-- ice cream, cookies, candy, cake...that will help with the cravings.
Good Idea!!! I am going to leave a little early...I pass a DQ on my way to work!!! Thank U!!
Old 08-18-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Minnesota81713 View Post
It was my Birthday yesterday so decided to make that my sobriety date....I didn't go out stayed home and sober.....it also helped I was broke from a several day binge of drinking and ordering food...my mom just dropped off my Birthday present and in the card is a $20...I am supposed to work at 11pm but I could call in...I also start a diet tomorrow no alcohol allowed so this will be my last night....the anxiety is killing me....I could loose my job tho if I call, but I want this last night....
There will ALWAYS be one last time. You need to just stop and end the cycle right now. Go to work, skip the drink.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Smile

One more hour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

On one of many of my so called "last nights" I ended up with a DUI and in the hospital. You are making a good choice by not drinking. One night of drinking can change our lives forever. Stay close to us and you won't regret it tomorrow!
Old 08-18-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

That 'buzz' you describe, lasts about 15 minutes, then the legs start to go, the brain gets the mouth to talk c**p, you're running to the bathroom, maybe texting rubbish/making daft phonecalls, head starts spinning, feel nauseous....
PLUS in your case, you could lose your income.
Is it worth it for a 15minute buzz?
Old 08-18-2013, 09:30 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZoeM View Post
That 'buzz' you describe, lasts about 15 minutes, then the legs start to go, the brain gets the mouth to talk c**p, you're running to the bathroom, maybe texting rubbish/making daft phonecalls, head starts spinning, feel nauseous....
PLUS in your case, you could lose your income.
Is it worth it for a 15minute buzz?
Thank You and I made it!!! I am here at work and by the time I get off I will be on day 3!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Yay!!
Old 08-18-2013, 09:49 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Keep checking in here Minnesota81713, you can do this! The support I received here got me through many nights when all I could think about was that first drink. I was never sorry I didn't pick it up.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:13 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thank You! It has def been a help so far!!!!
Old 08-18-2013, 10:18 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
TKS

Look at this rationally, there is no (real life) voice. It's entirely your decision how this unfolds. It's just your addiction messing with you. Do you want to stay sober, and make the most of the few days you have already been dry, or go through the same withdraws again starting tomorrow? We're all having a hard time with this, especially recent quitters like myself and others. But we can ALL do this. Hang in there, and think about how nice it will be to wake up sober tomorrow, the next day and for the rest of your life.

Happy Birthday for yesterday, by the way.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:29 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

congrats, Minnesota! i'm so happy you made it! and you did an excellent job of using tools to keep you sober. talking on here, taking a long shower, getting a treat, leaving early....these are perfectly normal ways to cope with stress. think about it...there's the stereotype of a sad woman eating a block of chocolate, eating cookie dough ice cream right out of the tub, dressed in her most comfy robe watching something on TV for a reason. these are comforting things for us and we crave them. many people crave alcohol during stress. the thing is, normal people can drink until they're relaxed then quit. they don't crave drinking all the time. for the alcoholic, once you engage in drinking, that craving doesn't go away. it's like binging and eating a whole tub of ice cream then going out and eating even more ice cream and suddenly, you're polishing off two tubs of ice cream a night, 7 days a week and you're downing chocolate bars and sweet sodas during the day. crazy, isn't it? then you're eating half a tub of ice cream in the morning just because you wake up with that intense crave. so you spend all your money on sweets and you get terribly overweight and your physical and social life suffer because you can't eat sweets moderately. replace sweets with alcohol and you've got an alcoholic! because we can't moderate, our only course of action is abstinence. so we find other ways to help us cope with stress that won't trigger o

ur insatiable craving. me, i can eat a moderate amount of sweets and be happy. i don't have an insatiable craving and i feel content after my indulgence. that doesn't happy to me with alcohol. there is never enough. i'm never content. i can pour alcohol down my throat claiming that it soothes me when all i'm doing is drinking to blow my mind out of consciousness. so now, i reach for things i can actually get contentment from. i read, i bike, i have food that makes me happy...i do things that fit into my life and give me mostly guilt free pleasure. i mean, if i go nuts on a treat i may feel a bit guilty but unlike alcohol, i simply refrain from doing that again for a long while.

so keep an eye out for things you can do or indulge in that make you happy and don't trigger the craving. the longer you're sober, the more things you'll find. you may even rediscover some old pleasures or discover some new hobbies! it's an amazing world out there and you are not free to go about and explore it. keep living in the sober moment and remember that cravings pass as long as we don't indulge in them. again, i'm super happy you made it to work. that was not an easy thing to go through and my heart goes out to you. congrats!
Old 08-18-2013, 10:38 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

give yourself a chance - your not giving up drinking for the rest of your life - just don't pick up a drink today.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:41 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thank You....I work all night so that helps!!! Can't leave!!
Old 08-18-2013, 11:01 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

That's great Minnesota.I'm so pleased you didn't give in. You will start to feel better very soon.

Urge surfing is very good when cravings hit

Or you may want to look at Rational Recovery/AVRT- which talks about the 'voice', helps you recognize it and gives you great strategies for overcoming it

It's great you stayed around SR instead of drinking .Be proud of yourself -you CAN do this
Old 08-18-2013, 11:03 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

minnesota, welcome to SR. You already know what alcohol will bring you... temporary oblivion, misery, self hatred, regret, and on and on....
The wonderful part of putting that bottle down is, every day will bring you something else, something different, and mostly something much more positive than the destitution you find in the bottle. Give yourself the chance to experience all these new things... its not easy, but its very worth it. The bottle will always be there to swallow you up, but you can put that bottle down, start on your sober path, and as you look back, that bottle will keep getting smaller and smaller as your new sober world opens up. good luck.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:24 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I dunno Minnesota...I got this really strong vibe that you are actually going to do this sobriety thing! I really, really do. And ya know what? It's a gift like no other.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:30 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone its me.. changed my name from Minnesota81713 to MN81713...a bit easier! I really appreciate all the support....at work, going home to sleep and day 3!!!! Have to pick up my check when I wake up...grrrr....don't think I have done that in years without picking up my payday bottle but I will tomorrow!!!!
Old 08-19-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MN81713 View Post
Thanks everyone its me.. changed my name from Minnesota81713 to MN81713...a bit easier! I really appreciate all the support....at work, going home to sleep and day 3!!!! Have to pick up my check when I wake up...grrrr....don't think I have done that in years without picking up my payday bottle but I will tomorrow!!!!
You'll have to do it eventually, so just make it happen and let the rest unfold. No need to dwell on what uncharted territory looks like. Just go explore.