Notices

Relapse:(

Old 08-18-2013, 04:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hope for change

Relapse:(

I relapsed after 3 months sobriety, today I feel really sad, and sick. Haven't felt theses feelings in 3 months so having trouble dealing with them
Old 08-18-2013, 04:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The feelings are horrible. I drank yesterday today and it just gets worse and worse. Going to a 9AM AA meeting and trying again.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello
It's good that you've come back to SR. I understand as relapsed twice last year after several weeks of sobriety.I felt desperate,ashamed, guilty, fear, regret, lonely, scared I would never get sober. With the help of SR I realized I had to put the negative feelings aside and quit again today. That was on Dec 8 and I've been sober since.

I looked at what I did/didn't do and why I wentback to it. I seemed to be able to stop but when I got to a few weeks it was "what's the point/if I can last a fewweeks I don't have a problem/ I'll moderate etc" Iwas kidding myself. I didn't expect to getcravings so far down the line and didn't know how to deal with them. Now I am aware they could strike at any time BUT I also know they will pass.

Look at what made you drink,learn from it. Don't dwell of course or beat yourself up, just be aware for next time. Welcome back
Old 08-18-2013, 04:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i know the shame and guild and confusion.

try to forgive yourself and keep on going sober.

Everyday is new day one,
Old 08-18-2013, 04:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can use this to help you move forwards. 3 months sober is an amazing achievement and you haven't lost what you learnt in that time. Keep trying x
Old 08-18-2013, 04:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
now's the time

I'm about 2 weeks sober from a relapse after 6 months. It is hard! It is confusing and complicated. Remember today and for the next few days that you're chemically imbalanced because of the drink, so try not to take your thoughts too seriously. Easier said than done I know, but important to remember.

And after that, it stays hard. But we can get through this just like we got through it the last time.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Fantail from February? 6 months was a long time, and so is two weeks. Heck 24 hours is the most important.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back to the both of you itsmytime and pamel

I hope both of you can find what it is you've been missing and make this your last day one.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

It is possible, keep at it. I made six months once, six weeks a few years later. Now i am over two years
Old 08-18-2013, 05:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Remember the awful feelings you are experiencing after this relapse, perhaps even write them down, to have them to reference the next time the craving strikes.

I wish you strength...it's a new day, recommit to your sobriety, it's never too late as long as we are breathing!
Old 08-18-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No half measures

I do not believe that sobriety is ever lost it is just that recovery is postponed. Each of my tries taught me something both good and bad. When I tried just about everything there was to try they brought me kicking and screaming AA. There I was taught to stay sober day at a time by people with long-term sobriety.

Welcome back and never give up the battle.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

All you can do is start over. Don't beat yourself up, just take a lesson out of it. If you can learn from it, you can avoid it happening next time.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

What great posts!

Well said. You made a mistake, none of us are perfect. What's great is that you came back here and are trying again. Never give up on that!

I love Love's the idea of writing down how you're feeling right now to have them as a reference. I would also support writing the story from start to finish.

What triggered me?
At what point did I give in to the AV?
How enjoyable was what I did, really?
What do I feel like right now because I gave in?

Most importantly:

What am I going to do differently the next time this happens so that I don't drink?

Hey, you guys rock for even being here in the first place so don't focus on the relapse, focus on the fact that you're doing what you need to do to keep trying.

YOU CAN DO THIS!
Old 08-18-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hope for change

I'm scares that I can't....last night scared the **** out of me. I was like I never stopped drinking, I was pounding wine and shots . What worries me the most is this past three months has been the best time of my life . Why on earth would I go back , Im so confused
Old 08-18-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Because you thought you could handle it? We don't just drink when things are bad. We are alcoholics, we drink over anything, good or bad. Just remember, next time things are going great doesnt mean magically you can control your alcohol. Dust yourself off, learn from it, and hop back on!
Old 08-18-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
No half measures

Originally Posted by Itsmytime1234 View Post
I'm scares that I can't....last night scared the **** out of me. I was like I never stopped drinking, I was pounding wine and shots . What worries me the most is this past three months has been the best time of my life . Why on earth would I go back , Im so confused
This is why I work on my sobriety on a daily basis because alcohol has lifetime to wait for a moment of weakness.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by Itsmytime1234 View Post
Itsmytime, don't be scared, use the information from yesterday going forward because whether you believe it or not, YOU CAN DO THIS!

Something happened that made you throw caution to the wind and to not care about the fact that you had three months sobriety. This addiction is raw and unforgiving and it will tell you that it's ok to drink no matter the reason that you quit in the first place. That AV is relentless and will do everything and anything to get you to pick up no matter how much you enjoyed those three months. Don't be so hard on yourself! YOU ARE BACK HERE, this is what's important and what you need to focus on. It's really important to isolate where your head was at when you just went ahead and picked up that first drink and to make a plan that will not let that happen next time. Please, focus on that. This can be done, you just need to do what it takes to not take that first drink.