Notices

Pain medication use in recovery

Old 08-15-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pain medication use in recovery

Long time sober. I have concerns about morphine use by a recovering alcoholic. Past experience has told me that sobriety can be maintained when morphine is prescribed for excruciating pain, as yet the cause of the pain undetermined, pending appointment some weeks off.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm thinking that if morphine is actually prescribed, then it must be needed. If that has the added bonus of sobriety, then all well and good.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kissten

I think every case is likely to be a little different.

I think generally though the correct way to proceed would be to speak with your Dr, be scrupulously honest about your past, and ask about all your possible pain relief options, not just the narcotic ones.

If you're not getting the answers you think you should be getting, maybe then you'd need a second opinion.

I have chronic pain issues.
My recovery is very important to me, but so is my quality of life.

Sometimes it's a balancing act but it's well worth going the extra mile looking at options IMO.

D
Old 08-15-2013, 08:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Kiss,
I'm not sure I understood your post. Can you clarify, please?
Old 08-15-2013, 08:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh, I mis-understood. I see what you mean now x
Old 08-15-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have something called Reflexive systemic dystrophy. It is a very painful condition, and I could not function without medication. I wear a fentanyl patch, which works for me. I find it doesn't seem to give any euphoric feelings like some of the other narcotics, and I've been able to stay at the same dose for several years now. I tried oxycontin (bad idea...that was hard to control so I stopped immediately) and lyrica, which had some very bad side effects and, when I stopped taking it, sent me into a terrible period of withdrawal symptoms that lasted for months. Dee is right, if you trust your Doctor, be honest and you can work out a strategy that hopefully protects your sobriety.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful

My experience with strong pain medication has only been for a short duration after 2 open heart surgeries I have had. I agree that sobriety can be maintained when being treated with opiates for excruciating pain. I never felt "high" when given IV morphine or IV fentanyl in the ICU after surgery. As a matter of fact it didn't completely remove the pain, it only reduced it to a tolerable level.

That's the good news. The bad news is that I had sternum complications after the first surgery and was on oral opiates (oxycodone & hydrocodone) for several months before it was corrected. I started abusing them and I eventually relapsed on alcohol (I was 7 years sober at the time). I got off of the pain meds without much problem, but I kept drinking for 8 years before getting sober again.

IMO it can be done for short periods of time, but for me I ran into problems with long-term use. I was completely off of all pain medications within 2 weeks after my 2nd open heart surgery. The thing is that I was drinking before and shortly after that surgery so that is probably a poor example to look at. As soon as I could tolerate alcohol after the surgery I started drinking again so I don't even count that as sober time or a relapse. It was just a forced month of abstinence due to major surgery. Too bad I didn't look at it as a chance to stop drinking altogether, but it never even crossed my mind.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Kissten, First Dee is a very wise man and I often read and reread dees posts! My experience with Morphine...I crushed some vertabrae 2 years ago, one healed crooked resulting in Chronic pain. My Dr., (whom you must be honest with)and I went thru many different pain relief methods including most of the above posted ones. OxyContin was the worst, Fantanyl patches never would stick. The Morphine pills controlled the pain without a bit of a high or euphoria feeling. May I please warn you, never tell anyone that doesn't need to know that you are on these meds. My own family members and so called friends would steal them from me. Invest in a combo safe to keep these strong opiates in and from the hands of those whom the meds were not prescribed to. Taken properly, my life is returning to normal, I feel sober I don't drink and I pray you find the right method of pain control. Welcome!
Old 08-16-2013, 03:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The problem with pain meds is that they stop giving one the "high" we so crave. I didn't know that they promise, then you need more. After a lot of research, I de-toxed myself, saw the Dr. and told him I COULD NOT have opiates.

However, I got back to alcohol that way. Stupid, but now I am fighting to get back off the drinking...
Old 08-16-2013, 04:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Cool

Pain meds (narcotics, etc.) CAN be taken by A's (alcoholic/addict) in recovery, as long as taken as prescribed (absolutely possible). I did NOT get clean/sober to live in pain.....

(o:
NoelleR
Old 10-15-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pamel View Post
The problem with pain meds is that they stop giving one the "high" we so crave..
Chronic pain patients take their meds to help their pain. There is no "craving a high"...there is utter blessed peace when the pain eases up some.
Just my ESH.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
Pain meds (narcotics, etc.) CAN be taken by A's (alcoholic/addict) in recovery, as long as taken as prescribed (absolutely possible). I did NOT get clean/sober to live in pain.....

(o:
NoelleR
you got that right!! its all about the motives.

now onto a question for OP: please tell more. what other pain meds have been tried? goin straight to morphine for pain isn't very wise. please tell us more and we just may be able to help more.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post

(o:
NoelleR
This is so true. People in recovery sometimes act like I should just grit my teeth and suffer through the pain, even when it means I can't walk, and am often bedridden. With medication, I can lead a somewhat normal life. Sorry, I'm not going to be miserable so that someone else can feel smug about dictating the terms of my sobriety. If you can't handle seeing me use pain medication, then mind your own business and don't ask me about it.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Kissen, Just checking up on you. How is your pain tolerance? Has your Dr. tried different meds ( opiates, ANSAIDS, TENS units, steroid inj, etc)? Just wondering. Usually Morphine is used for long, long term pain, unbearable pain. I always thought that going to AA and NA meeting were for people who desire sobriety and support. What about all the people in treatment that are on Methadone or Suboxone, those are controlled substances, are those people forbidden from attending? I hope not. If a Dr. orders a narcotic or controlled med for a REASON to take, short or long term to an addicted person there is always justification for its use. If a normie or another addict has a problem with that, well that's judging to me. And I always felt that only God or your HP can judge. Please ignore if possible comments from ignorant people. How would they like to be judged? I think the leader of you meeting should be made aware of the situation if you feel uncomfortable. They will handle the situation professionally and firmly. Now, Drs. these days are not stupid, they are becoming highly educated on pain control, if drug seeking is suspected, it will be addressed. If your pain meds don't work anymore, you most likely will be referred to a pain clinic, in our area the DOC in the pain clinic is Methadone, it is an opiate, originally used for pain on the battlefield during war. If you take your prescribed meds as directed, no extra doses or buying pills off other people(I'm not saying you do BTW) or drug seeking, you will be just fine. Ignore the ignorant people and their rude insensitive, uneducated comments. Pain is pain, you can't usually see a migraine or some forms of arthritis or whatever is ailing you. Relax, breathe, please don't be pushed away. You need the face to face support more than ever right now. Be brave, accept the support. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you! TF