Notices

HeidiHO: About Me

Old 08-15-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

HeidiHO: About Me

Hello, everyone. I'm new here and I've already broken several rules... I guess it shows my enthusiasm outweighs my caution and research abilities. Sorry about that. I'll try my best here to give my ESH from attraction rather than promotion. I do blog and participate in a variety of recovery online sites (can I say that? )

Anyway: here's my about stuff from my past, er... work product, OK?

I believe that God used AA and prayer to save me from self-destructing with alcohol. I am grateful to have a life that allows me time to write and reflect. I finished the AA book during the first week of attending meetings. My copy was a gift from Steve, who generously bought it for me and promptly said, I'll probably never see you again, but it's what I do. I give books to beginners and hope it makes a difference to someone.

Difference? Like a compass needle slamming from South to North: my life has turned from disaster and depression to hope and gratitude! I only look back in order to remember how difficult it is to find serenity and direction when first sober.

I love the AA book and feel that, though "meeting makers make it" is a popular slogan, it's the literature and the spiritual aspect of the program that changed my life for the better. I was fortunate to have become sober in Cedar Rapids, Iowa where AA is solid and support is amazing. Since then, I've lived in California, Oregon and Texas. There's no place like home has meaning for me when I reflect on my 7:30 and 9:00 home groups upstairs at the Fellowship Club beside the Dairy Queen on 1st Ave.

Therefore, though I once had amazing fellowship and teaching, I currently have my books, email, the net and an occasional meeting. I work as a security guard from home and have a schedule that means unpredictable times of solitude and ample time for reflection. I am blessed to be living full-time in my RV-- a dream that could not have happened while I was drowning my hopes and assets with booze.

PS: I don’t speak for AA, but only speak to my experience with AA and the wonderful change that has resulted in my life as a result of the 12 Steps. One of the biggest blessings that I’ve received from being in this program is that I have learned from the Old Timers to be OK with people disagreeing with me occasionally–or sometimes, often! Honestly, sometimes I don’t totally agree with me by the time a post gets published. The wonderful thing about this organization is that you and I can be equally passionate, can passionately disagree, and I can still stay not only in the program but in sobriety. As long as neither of us crashes over it, we are no worse off and may down the road move closer to the same truths. So, for all my posts and ramblings, take what helps, dismiss what doesn’t and my prayers will be answered.

*** That said, blessings to all. Have a marvelous day, I know I will.

Last edited by Jazzloonz; 08-15-2013 at 10:26 AM. Reason: forgot and
Old 08-15-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What a lovely post