Notices

Wks

Old 08-14-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wks

Hello,

60 year old mother and professional businesswoman that started drinking scotch at about 25. Many nights of too much and in the last 10 yrs switched to wine, mostly 4 to 5 glasses a nite sometimes more. Summer of 2012 I had some swelling in my nodes under arms and in groin area. My doc sent me to a infectious disease doc for all types of tests and questioned my sexual habits. I have been married for 37 years but my husband has always played outside of our marriage. He too is an alcoholic. Could not get the appt with the ID doc for 6 weeks so for 6 weeks I went into a deep depression, quit cold turkey, missed a lot of work and lost 35 lbs. tests results came back negative and my family doc never grasped what I was going thru although I told her my situation. She told me to take Paxil and live my life. Well of course I did not take the Paxil and went back to my wine.....bought a new house that had to be refurb bed, put my dog down on Christmas Eve and rang in the New Year handling the stress by drinking. My Mother passed away at the end of January 2013 and after returning from her funeral I came down with a severe respitory infection. Stayed in hospital 3 days and although It took 4 courses of antibiotics I revived and of course kept drinking. Just before Easter I noticed a big change.....balance problem, tingling feet, memory loss. Again I freaked out and went to the Internet . Saw the page for WKS and went cold turkey again on Easter Day. Since then I found another family doc and bared it all......he immediately put me on Viibryd and Xanax although I questioned him about the effects I was experiencing. Have been on these two drugs for 3 months and some days cannot get out of bed. Doc says it takes time but I am constantly in a fog, memory loss is worse and arms, hands, legs and feet act like they are not getting signals from my brain. Doc said if I had WKS I would not be standing.....still freaked out, sober for 137 days and wondering if I went from one fog to another. Does anyone know anything about WKS? Thanks for listening.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi

Welcome to our family, I'm glad you found us.

It sounds like you have been through the mill a bit to say the least.

When you type WKS are you talking about wernicke korsakoff syndrome?
I am sorry I know I have spelt that all wrong.

I wish you the best xx
Old 08-14-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR. Congrats on your sober time.

If you doctor says you don't have WKS, why wouldn't you trust him/her? You might be making yourself anxious over nothing.

Or seek a second opinion.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Needed to express today. Have been off the Viibryd but my balance is really bad, my memory is from minute to minute, my hands continue to tremble and I am still in a fog. My fam doc sent me to an ENT for the balance before he would consider a neurologist. The ENT said my balance was not from inner ear and told me he was going to tell my fam doc that I needed to see a neurologist asap and ENT ordered an MRI of the brain. Called fam doc today and they are still working on the neurologist. I am now having pains in my upper right abdomen and upper right back. Hopefully will see the neurologist and have the MRI this week. Just would like some answers as to how much I have damaged my old body and mind and is there a way back. I knew recovery would be hard....still sober since Easter this year....but wondering if all this other stuff is part of the recovery.