Notices

Day 7 no sleeping pills!!!

Old 08-09-2013, 09:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Day 7 no sleeping pills!!!

Okay so as I mentioned last week, I have been sober off alcohol now for over 2 years, but I started taking over the counter sleep aids to deal with the insomnia I had. Well, I ended up taking them for YEARS and had upped my nightly dosage to 5-6 pills. I never thought about them being addictive, but I was totally wrong.

Today is day 7 since I weaned myself off and now I havent had a single one in 6 nights. I have been anxious, but the worst thing is I am just emotional and tend to be quite mean and rude. This is effecting me at work, and didnt help that it happened to be a stressful week.

I am proud of my progress and willpower, so I thought I would share my update. One more thing I dont need out of my life. I know I feel up and down now, but it will get better.........like it always does, with time. I cant wait to start feeling like myself again, and I cant help but wonder how much these pills have effected my mood and overall sense of well-being this whole time. How is everyone tonight?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know I just said it in another thread, but running really helps anxiety and insomnia. Even a half hour a day a few hours before bedtime made a world of difference for me
Old 08-09-2013, 09:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am on day 15 of sobriety and STILL need the sleeping pills every night. I take 2 now but the first several days I was taking 3-4. I am still suffering from insomnia (don't get to sleep until 3 or 4 a.m.) but at least I am no longer sleeping 12 hours a day like I did when I was drinking. I now get 5-6 hours of sleep before getting up for the day. I am kind of scared I will end up depending on the sleeping pills for an extended period of time. I soooo wish I could just go to sleep at a normal time like normal people without any RX aid.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
EndGame

To say that sleep is an important function is a gross understatement.

Our sleep affects all major systems, including cardiac functions. It also has a tremendous effect on our mental and emotional well-being.

Originally Posted by Eleni58 View Post
I am on day 15 of sobriety and STILL need the sleeping pills every night. I take 2 now but the first several days I was taking 3-4. I am still suffering from insomnia (don't get to sleep until 3 or 4 a.m.) but at least I am no longer sleeping 12 hours a day like I did when I was drinking. I now get 5-6 hours of sleep before getting up for the day. I am kind of scared I will end up depending on the sleeping pills for an extended period of time. I soooo wish I could just go to sleep at a normal time like normal people without any RX aid.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Have you tried herbal teas? Celestrial seasonings makes a sleepy time tea. It puts me to sleep fairly quickly. Melatonin a natural supplement also works really well.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey NightHawk

Hope your sleep returns to some state of normality soon - well done on 7 days and for making such a brave decision to quit the tabs (hugs)

For those nights of insomnia or anxiety come join us in the chat room! When my mood & anxiety levels have been through the roof, I have unexpectedly been calmed by all the good peeps in chat and often had a good laugh!
Oh, and I have fallen asleep on chat countless times! (ha ha)

All the best
(hug)
Shell
Old 08-10-2013, 03:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nighthawk very well done!!! Once you get through this phase where you body relearns to sleep and self soothe you are going to be a new man I really applaud you for taking such good care of yourself!
How's your sleeping now?
All the best
Old 08-10-2013, 04:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 7, I am glad you are doing well!

I take one Unisom a night and I have since I have been sober. There has been a couple of nights I did not take them as I was damn tired and basically forgot and fell asleep without it.

I have been trying to do this on the weekends when it does not really matter when I fall asleep or wake up but I find it hard to get over that hump.

I have never taken more than one but perhaps that is because I never needed more than one or I have never been into any type of substance other than alcohol. I have smoked pot and it was all good but I never craved it. I could take it or leave it and there were times that years went by I did not have any and it never bothered me. Same with pain meds. 99% of the time they made me feel ill so I never saw the attraction unless I was in pain and then I had to cut the dose in half just to be able to tolerate them.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on your week

D
Old 08-10-2013, 04:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Originally Posted by Nighthawk8820 View Post
Okay so as I mentioned last week, I have been sober off alcohol now for over 2 years, but I started taking over the counter sleep aids to deal with the insomnia I had. Well, I ended up taking them for YEARS and had upped my nightly dosage to 5-6 pills. I never thought about them being addictive, but I was totally wrong.

Today is day 7 since I weaned myself off and now I havent had a single one in 6 nights. I have been anxious, but the worst thing is I am just emotional and tend to be quite mean and rude. This is effecting me at work, and didnt help that it happened to be a stressful week.

I am proud of my progress and willpower, so I thought I would share my update. One more thing I dont need out of my life. I know I feel up and down now, but it will get better.........like it always does, with time. I cant wait to start feeling like myself again, and I cant help but wonder how much these pills have effected my mood and overall sense of well-being this whole time. How is everyone tonight?

You are doing FANTASTIC!! Keep it up!