Notices

A cross addiction that you wouldn't believe!

Old 08-07-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

How many lbs. of ice per day do you think would be safe for me to eat?
Originally Posted by Oldmedic View Post
Hi Matilda,

I am only on my 3rd day sober, but I thought I might add a little to your post. I was a paramedic for 17 years, and seen something similar to your problem a couple of times before. This may sound strange, but check Water intoxication. In early stages, it can mimic alcohol. As the water/ice consumption increases, it can be lethal, because of how it dilutes your electrolytes.

I could be way off base, but it is just an observation.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I really dont think that is a question that should be answered. I think the bigger question is why. Go get some help, from a doctor, so you dont have to resort to ice, or alcohol.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by MatildaRose View Post
Well I am happily sober but I have replaced the constant glass of AL for a glass of ice. I pour some tea over it for flavor but I am really just wanting the ice? I'd laugh but it's not funny. I'm ruining my teeth and it's getting worse. I'm up to almost 20 lbs. of ice per day. I have to buy it cause my ice maker can't come close to keeping up.This isn't my first run in with this dreaded ice addiction. When I drink AL I don't eat ice. When I don't drink AL I eat ice. I've read that it may be a sign of mineral deficiency so I'm on major minerals for weeks now and it hasn't helped.

As I said in the beginning, I am happily sober so I guess I should just be grateful. I have said over and over again that I'd do whatever it takes to stay that way so I guess, at least for now, ICE is the answer.
You may need to seek some counseling or at the very least a medical opinion. Its not normal to eat that much ice and like you said, its ruining your teeth and who knows what else. Have yourself checked out, what can it hurt?
Old 08-07-2013, 11:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm gonna chime in here too with seeking help from medical/mental health professionals...could be iron deficiency..could be OCD. The issue definitely warrants appropriate attention from the right places.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

That is very good advise but I have a phobia about that. I understand that's what I should do and hold it as an ideal but can't bring myself to doing...as of yet. I will continue to hold that as an ideal until I'm able to actually do it. In the mean time, what CAN I do. Well I can be slower in my consumption of the ice. It helped a lot just coming out of the closet about it. Yesterday I ate alittle bit over one 10lb. bag and it's 8:30 and I haven't had any ice yet. I'll wait til 10am to have my first glass.
Originally Posted by Oldmedic View Post
I really dont think that is a question that should be answered. I think the bigger question is why. Go get some help, from a doctor, so you dont have to resort to ice, or alcohol.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:34 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

You are probably right on both counts. OCD sounds sorta like me and I do believe iron could be a big part of it. I goggled iron rich foods and will write my grocery list accordingly. I know this can't be resolved over night as it took years to get this bad. I am proud that I can speak about it and realize that I have another issue or issues that need resolved. I am a work in progress. I will get healthy and stay that way. This time for sure!
Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
I'm gonna chime in here too with seeking help from medical/mental health professionals...could be iron deficiency..could be OCD. The issue definitely warrants appropriate attention from the right places.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi,

I have severe iron deficiency (due to a past gastric bypass) and have had to have iron transfusions before. I too like to eat ice although not even close to the volume that you eat. However, my hematologist told me that if that urge increases to go for bloodwork because it means that I am deficient again. Again, this is only me.
With the fear of the dr., I understand. My mom was that way too. I guess you have to decide what's worse, the knowing or the mystery. I've found that my mind and my imagination are usually worse than the reality.
Good luck-
jennikate
Old 08-08-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I too had gastric bypass about 6 years ago. I guess that says Iron deficiency could be the issue for me as well.
Originally Posted by jennikate View Post
Hi,

I have severe iron deficiency (due to a past gastric bypass) and have had to have iron transfusions before. I too like to eat ice although not even close to the volume that you eat. However, my hematologist told me that if that urge increases to go for bloodwork because it means that I am deficient again. Again, this is only me.
With the fear of the dr., I understand. My mom was that way too. I guess you have to decide what's worse, the knowing or the mystery. I've found that my mind and my imagination are usually worse than the reality.
Good luck-
jennikate
Old 08-08-2013, 08:03 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Go see your doctor. Have him/her test your iron levels. There is research that suggests that pagophagia (PICA for ice) is an indicator for iron deficiency anemia.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

MatildaRose - chlorophyll and hemoglobin have a very similar structure chemically, with the main difference being that the centre of hemoglobin is an iron ion, chlorophyll contains a magesium.

Some health practitioners believe that this similarity means that the chlorophyll can clean toxins and strengthen your blood. While I believe in a lot of natural remedies, the molecule will get broken up in your digestive system, and doesn't really equate to being a hemoglobin molecule. It might if you were a plant and were photosynthesizing.

That being said, chlorophyll drinks are sometimes yummy and certainly won't hurt. They just won't really clear up nutritional deficiencies.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I am learning so much about myself here. Thank you ALL! I am changing my diet to include more iron rich foods and will also increase mineral supplements. I also feel less burdened because I can talk about this here. I really thought that I was just doing this to have a glass in my hand and something in my mouth constantly but now I see that their is very likely also a medical reason. I am determined to get healthy and you are helping me so much to make that happen. Thanks again!
Old 08-10-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I am very proud of myself. I went to the market and bought iron rich foods and passed the alcohol isle without a ting of desire. I also went out of the market without a 20lb. bag of ice. Yeah for me!
Old 08-10-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Way to go MatildaRose!
Old 08-10-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

That's awesome, Matilda!!
Old 08-10-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I get the ice cravings every time I'm pregnant. I'm pretty sure that it's related to an iron deficiency. Is that what kind of supplement you were given?
Old 08-10-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

This is not about vitamins or minerals. Ice eating is a real albeit rare addiction.

It will destroy your mouth. You need to cut it out.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Might be something deeper going on here......I dunno. What I do hear is that when I quit drinking I substitute another destructive behavior that's not quite as bad as the drinking was.

So, while I understand where all the "at least you're not drinking" comments are coming from, my AA book has a line in it that reads, "We feel a man is unthinking when he says that sobriety is enough." In other words, not drinking is ONE part of sobriety....of sober living. What good is it if I just choose another "more acceptable" way to ruin my life?

You may want to look into AA. I know you're not drinking and all but you'll find AA isn't for ppl who JUST have a problem stopping. It's mostly about how to find and live a happy life once you're sober - and that seems to be for you (like it was for me) the hardest part.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I'm taking an iron pill that I bought at the drug store and liquid colloidal minerals from the health food store. I'm changing my diet to focus on iron rich foods and I also bought a juicer. Thanks to all your advise here on SR, I'm coming to believe that there is a biological reason for my ice addiction instead of just a need to have a glass in my hands at all times. This is something I can do something about and I am!
Originally Posted by FinallyFinished View Post
I get the ice cravings every time I'm pregnant. I'm pretty sure that it's related to an iron deficiency. Is that what kind of supplement you were given?
Old 08-11-2013, 05:08 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I was raised in an AA family and I am 60 years old. In fact my Mother started the first Ala Teen group in the DC area and the big book was drilled into me from a very early age. I know that approach has helped many. I always say "To each, his own". I personally have found that it has done me more harm than good! I agree that it takes an alcoholic to help an alcoholic so "meetings" are very helpful in that sense. I prefer meetings that are empowering such as Women for Sobriety. Their opening statement is "I have a disease that once had me". That, I ACCEPT! I beat myself up with the bottle enough as it is and my recovery plan includes ways to rebuild my confidence. Today I am becoming a healthy, happy, capable, competent Woman!!!
Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Might be something deeper going on here......I dunno. What I do hear is that when I quit drinking I substitute another destructive behavior that's not quite as bad as the drinking was.

So, while I understand where all the "at least you're not drinking" comments are coming from, my AA book has a line in it that reads, "We feel a man is unthinking when he says that sobriety is enough." In other words, not drinking is ONE part of sobriety....of sober living. What good is it if I just choose another "more acceptable" way to ruin my life?

You may want to look into AA. I know you're not drinking and all but you'll find AA isn't for ppl who JUST have a problem stopping. It's mostly about how to find and live a happy life once you're sober - and that seems to be for you (like it was for me) the hardest part.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Yes, you are so right! My Dentist bills will prove that for sure. I have cut back a lot! I've gone from 20 lbs. a day to less than 10lbs. This is a huge improvement and I am proud of myself!
Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
This is not about vitamins or minerals. Ice eating is a real albeit rare addiction.

It will destroy your mouth. You need to cut it out.