Notices

day one any advice?

Old 08-06-2013, 04:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day one any advice?

Hi

I am starting day one today...again! I so want to do this but am feeling shaky already. I think u don't realise how bad u are until u try to quit. u keep telling yourself am not bad I don't get withdrawels, shakes or whatever but thats just an excuse.

Any advice to get me through just this one day, I will worry about 2moro when it comes. I've started off the day well, did some exercise and am eating healthy. But starting to feel a bit anxious now.

What will I do?

Elisha x
Old 08-06-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. After 2 years trying it my way I needed help from AA and flesh people who understand us. Some suggestions I got were try not to think about drinking and focus on not drinking thoughts, drink a lot of fluids with sugar to replace the sugar fix alcohol provided and other sweet things helped. Probably the most needed thing was to keep coming, it works if we work it. BE WELL
Old 08-06-2013, 05:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

POST HERE!!!!

And monitor your symptoms in case you need to go to the emergency room.

I know I climbed the walls. I got to "the end of the internet", read, watched tv, cleaned the house, walked the dog, etc.

You CAN get through this and you NEVER have to do it again!!!!!!

Old 08-06-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Elisha,
You sound like you have the right idea with the healthy eating and taking some exercise those things helped me so much. Make sure you drink lots of water and if you feel unwell i would speak to a doctor. Keep your mind and yourself busy. I found that i thought about drinking more when i was not keeping myself occupied. The chat room is a good option on here. People use it to keep their minds off drinking and it can really help to talk to others in the same boat. Wishing you the best.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

day one any advice?

What are you doing for your recovery? Whatever it is, you might consider stepping it up.

If you are going to use SR for support, use it. Daily. Post in the support thread for those quitting in August. Post when you are struggling...before you pick up that drink.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Gatorade, coconut water, magnesium, vit B complex.

Whatever you do, don't pick up.

Blessings.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

All of these suggestions are great...

calling an AA/NA hotline could be helpful too

meet up with members later today
Old 08-06-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Elisha!

I'm on day 3 and I can tell you that it gets easier after the first couple of days. Both mentally and physically I have ups and downs, but it's less intense.

The first night I didn't sleep well. For a couple of hours I had various parts of my body suddenly jerk and twitch for no reason. At that point I decided that if it kept happening, I'd call a doctor. But it went way and hasn't happened since.

What helps me the most is realizing that the reason I feel bad, is because I'm detoxing. So it's a good sign! And it will go away.

Today I experienced several moments of my old confidence and well-being. Knowing that I'm on my way back to that, or something better even, who knows, gives me great relief and anticipation for a good future.

And no more worries about money. About people finding out. About health. Having all that fade into the past is such a relief.

Take your time. Take the rest you need. Be sure to stay hydrated and eat. For the time being I'm also taking a regular multivitamin a day, until I'm back on a healthy diet.

Sorry for this long post but I just had an idea. Instead of going back to my old life, I'm going to do it better. Eat healthy, exercise and just make it better than it used to be before I started drinking.

Anyway, sorry for the writing so much, but I'm hoping it's inspiring and helps you get through it better.

One last thing. If you're unsure about your withdrawal symptoms, do check with your doctor.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have something I do, whether you can use them I do not know, but feel free.

I start the day with a run and a swim, I am not hard on my self – partly because if I am doing that every day I do not want any injuries and I do in reality not want push my body to much right now. If I feel like walking part of the way – I just walk and enjoy that.

I do plan what I am making for dinner, and put some effort into cooking. When I have cravings I try to redirect it to something I can have – focus on the dinner I am making later. I make spicy food – that does something with the body, I like at least.

Go for a walk somewhere peaceful.

Do some light tidying up – not to complicated, it is always a nice feeling (at least afterwards) to have organized something.

I try to “be nice” to the cravings or anxiousness I fell and acknowledge they are there – they are in reality not a problem – the problem is if they overwhelm me.

I know it will be much better, I have done this before I can remember there is a price to be won.

It is hard – I hope I will remember that in the future so I do not need to do this again.

You will get through it Elisha – I am sure you will.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi elisha, good job on quitting. I thought I could quit anytime. I was also surprised when I realized that quitting would be hard. I agree that drinking sugary drinks helps with the cravings. I drank watered-down kool-aid and water at all times. I believe it does help. It sounds like you are off to a good start with the exercise and staying busy. Continue on like that should be good. Good job so far.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello and great job on wanting 2 quit. I would suggest not over doing it on anything. Sounds like you are doing great with the exercise and healthy eating. If you feel anxious, get busy. But don't put 2 much in front of you 2 do just yet. I tend 2 do that early on, then get so overwhelmed it stresses me out. Maybe a walk? A movie? A great book?
Old 08-06-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi

I've failed again...im completely useless...i don't no why I even try anymore..im sick of convincing myself I am going to stop then give in so easily.

sometimes i think i will never get out of this only through death will I truly be free.

Thank u for all your kind words

Elisha x
Old 08-06-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Elisha, you are not useless at all. That is your AV talking. You have slipped up which can happen to any of us. Many people try and slip up and try again and it can take a number of attempts before it sticks with people. You are here and posting which means you want to get out of this cycle you are stuck in. You try because you want to get sober and be well and live a life free from alcohol. Maybe look at what happened today and seek some outside support and get some kind of a recovery plan together. I could not have got sober without an action plan. I hope you feel better. I am rooting for you.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

Elisha

Not completely useless at all! The fact that you are here, at least, is a start and we all have it to do somewhere or somehow.

Yesterday was day 1, again!, for me and it was a hell of a day too. Only two things could cure my chaotic mindset and the awful physical condition I was in - booze and sticking it out with the same determination I had when I decided, again, enough was enough. I stuck it out and suffered the all too familiar problems of initial sobriety... and today, day 2, I feel better in every way. Of course, not as good as I'd like but better able to go on. For me the early days are the worse but I bring it on myself and this thought just helps me to stay determined to pay myself the respect that my life deserves.

If you're unable to stop right now, then just try that little bit harder tomorrow.
Of course, you must want it more than you did today.

Best of luck
Old 08-06-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by elisha82 View Post
Hi

I've failed again...im completely useless...i don't no why I even try anymore..im sick of convincing myself I am going to stop then give in so easily.

sometimes i think i will never get out of this only through death will I truly be free.

Elisha x
If you weren't useless, would you drink? In any case, I cannot see how you would be useless. Just get rid of that feeling.

I was going to post this in my "Day 3" thread, but it fits much better here.

Today I thought, "Why not have another night of drinking? Just one last time. It can't hurt, right?".

Before that I wasn't even aware of drinking, I was busy.

The moment that thought came up, I saw it for what it was. A lie. Another night of drinking can and will hurt. It will feed the addiction. So I replaced it with the miserable future I'd be heading to if I did drink. And believe me, any desire just flowed out of me.

You are not useless. Sometimes you fail. So then what? Is failure a reason to give up? All successful people will tell you that failure is what helped them to become successful.

The question is, what do you learn from this? If you don't evaluate the situation and learn from it, you might do it again. What went wrong? There you were, you quit drinking. Then there was this first moment that lead to a chain of events that ended up in you drinking. What was it? What was this trigger?

You can do this!
Old 08-06-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Elisha!

Like you, I've tried many times, and slipped. And now I'm back here trying again

One thing I've realized, is that my reaction to the slip may have a great deal to do with my success in quitting.

Can't tell you how many times I've said the same thing, "I am useless!"... but please, try not to be so hard on yourself. I think feeling like you are "bad" makes it easier to not give a sh*t, you know, and then ol' AV rationalizes, 'well, might as well keep using, you useless... '

at least that's kinda how it went for me.

Slipping is part of the process; not necessarily the END or complete failure of the process... right?

You are trying; you want this. You are VALUABLE and you deserve to be loved and forgiven. So accept that you may slip, because you are human like us all and forgive yourself-- I really think this is so important! And just because you drank today, does not mean you have to drink tomorrow. (sorry if I am stating the obvious, but these are realizations that took me a while to get to! Really just want to help )

If we tripped & fell while walking down the street, would we just stay there? Nah, dust yourself off and move on. No biggie. You've got this.

Rooting for you!
Old 08-06-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Elisha, for my first few days I think I sat on here all day.

Posting is great but it's not magic, not by itself - post by all means, but stay around for the discussion & support too...

we'll keep you company, give you ideas, and help you get yourself through that first day

D
Old 08-06-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
No half measures

AA worked for me when all else had failed
Old 08-06-2013, 10:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by elisha82 View Post
Hi

Elisha x
Yeah, well, we're probably "free" at the time of death, but there's not much we can do with that freedom. It's like winning PowerBall the day before the Earth implodes.

Somewhere along the line, you'll find yourself at a crossroads, and the decision to put down the drink will be different than at any other time.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank u Dorian this is very helpful

Ok Ill tell u what i did yesterday so we can figure out where it went wrong.

I got up did some reading and wrote on this forum, I exercised and ate healthy, then spent some time up at my parents house, then I went to the shop to pick up bread & even b4 I got to the shop I knew I was going to pick up those 2 bottles of wine...and I did.

When I got home I didnt drink them straight away.. it was enough just knowing I had them...then when I got a chance i.e. when I was on my own I started drinking. drank about a bottle of wine..depression settled in, felt weepy and somewhat suicidal (recently as my drinking as progressed I get more and more thoughts of 'escaping', although I don;'t think I would actually act on these thoughts). felt like a failure, went to bed and passed out.

So easy to see ther that I catalyst for the chain of events was going to the shop..or was it.

what do you think?