Notices

Is there anything I cant get addicted to?

Old 08-03-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Is there anything I cant get addicted to?

So I posted a few weeks ago that I was saying sianara because I have been so busy, but I missed you guys and decided to make time to come on whenever I can. That being said, I am in withdrawal AGAIN.

When I first quit drinking in May of 2011 (still sober and going strong), I started taking those over the counter sleep aids to help with the insomnia we all know way to well. I started with the suggested dosage, but then it stopped working so I just kept upping it. Over time, I got to 5 little blue pills a night. I never thought twice about it because I was sleeping so wonderfully. Well I came across an article on Diphenhydramine, which is the ingredient in all those sleep pills as well as benadryl. It basically stated it can cause anxiety, hair loss, and is just not that great, so I decided to quit taking them. Well, I got SICK. Flu symptoms, shakes,mood swings, feeling low, anxiety, and hot/cold spells. I started tapering then and this whole week, it has been my ongoing project. I am down to 1 pill a night, and tonight I am going on zippo. Who would have thought these little pills would be so addicting? After alcohol withdrawal, this is a walk in the park, but nonetheless uncomfortable and unpleasant. It makes me wonder how much better my sobriety from alcohol will be now, since I was addicted to something else that effects your mood this whole time. Sure its not as powerful as alcohol, but it still can effect my overall sense of well-being. I thought I would share since I appreciate all of you being so honest with me, I strive to return the favor. Just goes to show, with my addictive personality, I need to stick to things with no chemical properties, lol. How is everyone doing today?
Old 08-03-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too used to take that for sleep but had the same problem with upping the dose. I had to cut back and then stop altogether. Now I sleep very well without anything at all.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Nighthawk ,
Good to hear you're dealing with it . I find a banana before bed helps me get sleepy they have something in them which is meant to help if i remember rightly, that and cherries . That and no caffine after 3 pm

Things are cool here in the UK

Bestwishes, m
Old 08-03-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you are addressing this those are very addictive. I use to use them on my nights off drinking so I could pass out! Through this sobering experience I've been careful to stay clear of all medications even seemingly benign ones! Glad you are back! Good luck sleeping tonight. At least SR is here 24/7 if sleep fails you
Old 08-03-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Aw, we missed you too Nighthawk! Sorry you're going through withdrawals but glad you realised you had a problem with the pills and are doing what you need to do.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hear you and I understand your feelings.
I am the same.

But I am glad your back.

I have a three year old who never, ever sleeps.
I have seen her yawn twice in nearly 4 years!
She never ever stops.

Perhaps you might babysit for me so I can catch up on some sleep.

xxxx
Old 08-03-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Nighthawk,
It is really good to see you back here, man. You've been missed. Jeez, Diphenhydramine, who knew? Thanks for sharing that because, yeah, I have insomnia too and have started hunting around for a little "help" sleeping. I hope you hang around for awhile. I miss reading your posts.

Cheers,
Cas
Old 08-03-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

I was addicted to Benedryl. Don't even ask how many I was up to a night to sleep.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have taken Ambien and Seroquel for years to help me sleep - small doses but still....
In March I weaned myself off of Seroquel and can now get to sleep on just one ambien. I was so happy to get off one medication AND booze. I think sleep is such an important thing in a recovering addict's life. I am much more prone to cravings when I don't have enough sleep. Good luck!!!
Old 08-03-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nighthawk,
I'm so glad you posted this; I was prescribed sleeping tablets by a psychiatrist while in rehab and, while I haven't increased the dosage, I do feel anxious when it's nearing the time to refill the prescription, worried that I may run out.

I've been a bit concerned but this post has highlighted to me that this is becoming a psychological problem, if not yet a physical one.
Time to stop...
Old 08-03-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
Good to hear you're dealing with it . I find a banana before bed helps me get sleepy they have something in them which is meant to help if i remember rightly, that and cherries . That and no caffine after 3 pm
The old fashioned remedies are the best I drank valarian tea but now I am on the normal sleepytime tea which is just chamomile and herbs.

To be honest though I sleep really well now, the first few weeks/months of sobriety I had sleepless nights but it soon settled down.

Glad you are getting it sorted Nighthawk and thanks for being honest x
Old 08-03-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad you are back! And good that you are dealing with this other addiction, and being open and honest about it. I know you can tackle it

As for getting sleepy at bedtime... I sip an herbal tea with all kinds of stuff that's supposed to calm you, if anything it's warm and comforting and signals to my brain it's sleepy time I also will sometimes pop a valerian pill. I keep those at the bedside table, along with a bottle of tryptophan powder... Those two taken together usually do the trick, and with no hangover or apparent side effects.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey my friend, so glad you're back. You will kick this in your usual arse kicking way : )
Old 08-03-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Glad to see you back. Thanks for bringing this up. I guess I need to quit them too. Cherries do work.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
TKS

So sleepness nights are common for others too? That's reassuring. I sometimes take a powerful antihistamine (Phenothiazine) to try and help my sleep, because apart from codeine, it's the only thing that works without strange psychological side effects after regular use.

Should probably me mindful not to abuse these while I try and get sober.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was just talking about this the other day with a friend!

I too have always had trouble with sleep. It got better after quitting drinking but I found I was still tired a LOT and I was trying everything; over the counter, teas, natural remedies, EVERYTHING to help... And yes, upping the dose on a lot of it!!!

Some I tried would GET me to sleep, but I couldn't ever STAY asleep more than a couple hours...

Finally after being at my wits end, my doctor sent me for a sleep study and low and behold, I have severe sleep apnea... Who'd a thunk it!!

Now I sleep with a very sexy piece of head gear (NOT), but I feel better than I have in forever!!!!!

My doctor also told me to be very careful with the sleep aids (over the counter), especially the one you mentioned... Said it can cause wdrawls and anxiousness, which I did experience too!! I was always too afraid of the prescriptions....

Glad you figured it out and are dealing with it! You will do great kicking this! Good to see you here!

Kat