Notices

Reposting here on newcomers. Need support and advice

Old 07-29-2013, 07:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reposting here on newcomers. Need support and advice

Hi everyone, well don't really know where to begin. I have struggled with alcoholism for the past 10+ years. I am a 40 year old female, have 2 beautiful kids (7 & 9), a great husband who I have been separated for just over a year (because I chose alcohol over our marriage which I regret daily), a nice house, a good job. All sounds great and good. I went into AA for the first time about 6.5 years ago. Got a few months, relapsed went back in for a couple of months, relapsed again and then had 2 straight years of sobriety. I was working the steps, had a sponsor and just after 2 years went out again. I have been struggling BIG time the past few years. My husband was very supportive and I actually ended up going to rehab for 30 days in the summer of 2011. He found out I cheated on him and was still going to stay with me but I needed to be sober and I chose booze.

I have been drinking daily since last May when I left him. I wake up and go to work everyday and take care of my kids (when I have them 50% of the time) but am still drinking. I am broke all of the time cause I spend so much on booze and my mom helps me out in that aspect (financially). I know 40 years old and mom helping me out. Pathetic. I have been dating a guy for the past 9 months who is also an alcholic and was actually in AA for a few months but thinks its a cult. I have actually told him I need some space for the past 3 weeks and haven't seen him. All we do together is drink and then end up fighting bad a lot of the time. He does love me a lot though. I want my marriage back and my husband tells me I have to stop drinking totally and yet there is part of me that thinks I can control it. I wake up every morning feeling like crap and say "not gonna drink today" but I always do. Im at such a loss. I feel AA is one of the only things that will keep me sober but I am embarassed to go back (I have been in and out sooooo many times).

I just want to live a happy life and I am NOT happy right now. Im surviving that is it - not living. Just scared to take that step. Scared of failing....AGAIN. Scared of living a life without booze.

I'm sorry this is so long. Just don't know where to turn because I'm not honest to anyone about how much I am drinking.

Thanks for reading and any advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Melbell

there's no doubt that embracing a sober live is a leap of faith...it's leaving behind the familiar, whoever crappy that familiar is, and heading into the unknown....

the thing is tho - you're not alone - there's lots of us here who've done this and can tell you how wonderful that decision was

I reconnected with a me I'd forgotten about - an untainted me, a me I thought I'd lost.
I love who I am now and I love my life.

That's a pretty good payoff
D
Old 07-29-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Melbell,
I have no big words of wisdom but I know what it feels like to be unhappy. That's what finally pushed me over. I was so miserable I just wanted some peace. I figured I'd worry about happy later. So I promised myself I would endure whatever came but no matter what, I would not drink.

Some days easy, some not so much but they started piling up. Not only did I find my peace but I actually got happy. The good kind. The kind that comes from being a-okay with just being me.

I'm glad you are here and hope you find what you need. You deserve it.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you think AA will help go back. AA helped me get sober. Most people I have met in AA have struggled at some point with sobriety. Don't worry about what others may or may not think. Just keep coming back. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hi melbell go back to AA no matter how many times people come back just one day at the time or hour at the time.
I know it can be done 79 days I being working on my sobriety and is wonderful and so not wonderful road ... I love myself again...
good luck
Old 07-29-2013, 11:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Like others have said never feel embarrassed about a relapse. Alcoholism is our deal and relapses are common so no one will judge. I've had 9 months 2 different times and have been struggling for the past year. Today is day 1 for me and I won't give up so please you don't