Notices

When you think of it this way, we are the lucky ones....

Old 07-28-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When you think of it this way, we are the lucky ones....

I was thinking about several loved ones of mine who died from cancer. We all know how devestating cancer can be. We all know someone whose struggled with it. We ourselves may have. And then there is our dear CarolD....

So I was thinking of the people I saw pass, who tried everything, followed every recomendation, lived with the utmost care for their health, always treated others well, and they were still taken by cancer.

The people I know would have done ANYTHING to have tbeir cancer removed or in remission!

Imagine if they were then told that their cancer was due to eating one favorite food, and if they never ate that food again, their cancer would leave. But if they ate it just once, it would return.

Imagine tbeir joy and relief! To just give up one favorite food and their cancer would recede! After all they'd been through, for this to be true! A miracle answer.... and yet so simple.

Would these people then not believe the experts and test the hypothesis to see if it were true? Would they risk it? Would they sneak that food behind others backs because they thought it was unfair they had to give it up and others didn't? Would they feel sorry for themselves and whine about how everyone else they know could eat that food but them? Would they lament about all those years they spent without the cure, ...how wasted that time was, how angry they were they can't redo that time, how unfair it all was, or how they regret they couldn't see the cure was right in front of them?

Of COURSE they wouldn't! They'd be filled with gratitude, relief, and a new plan for how best to live whatever remaining days were to be given them! They wouldn't want to waste any more time mired in fear and anger and depression. And they'd want to spread the word!!

And so it is with us. We hold the key to remission, recovery, cure, whatever you choose to call it, right in our hands. One beverage. One beverage we must avoid of all the pleasures of the world around us, just one beverage to avoid, and our health and life will return and we can make it what we want it to be!

Alcohol nearly killed me. It still wants to. But I have the answer and it is simple, obvious, and miraculous!! How lucky we are!!
Old 07-28-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Amen!
Old 07-28-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Keep on keeping on Q

Bestwishes, m
Old 07-28-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome post. Thank you.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Amen is right!!!
Old 07-28-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Amen. This is the simple truth of it. Thank you EQ for another fabulous post.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
LDT

Old 07-28-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Old 07-28-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Eternal, that was a gem. Never quite thought of it that way. Thank you so much.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for a new perspective. We are lucky to be alive each and every day. No more wasting them away.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Here’s what I observe. Addicts in recovery are some of the most emotionally well-adjusted people I know. Staying in recovery requires more than white-knuckling it. Recovery involves introspection, learning to really know yourself, becoming honest with yourself and others, learning to accept yourself, appreciating each day, learning that it’s about “progress, not perfection.” Learning that it’s about letting go, not trying to control everything, trusting the universe/your HP. Non-addicts struggle with all these issues, but often don’t find the answers that are a part of the recovery process. Many “normies” never learn to know themselves like that, to accept themselves, to realize that “today is magical because it’s all we have.” Addiction sucks, but the recovery process can get you to a place of spiritual and emotional peace and serenity that many “normies” never experience.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wonderful post
Old 07-28-2013, 08:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great post, EternalQ, as per usual

Thank you!
Old 07-28-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

EternalQ, you are FANTASTIC, and, yes, we are the lucky ones.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

amen to that and everybody alse that post.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Watching a family member struggle with cancer. I have thought of this many times in my recovery. Thank you for putting it into words better than I ever could.