Notices

Oh, the grey, sludgy winter afternoons....

Old 07-27-2013, 10:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Oh, the grey, sludgy winter afternoons....

I have no idea where I should have put this thread. Mods will hopefully move it somewhere appropriate.

Just feeling - well, under the cover of the dark, heavy grey clouds of a late winter's Melbourne day. We've had quite a lot of them. They're kinda normal (believe it or not, for those who don't know southern Australia).

In the afternoons, especially ones like this, I also feel so deflated that there are so few SR members online, due to the majority being in the Northern Hemisphere. No, it shouldn't matter at all, but it's one of the hardest times. When I'm trying to stay sober on a day 1, and even on a day like today, Sunday, when I've been drinking.

I've rung and left a few chirpy sounding messages to my eldest sister, an old friend, and another old friend. And no, they weren't drunken rambles. Many people have said these days that they hadn't realised that I was drinking, until I told them.

I definitely find winters hard, when both drinking and sober. These days in particular, when it's still, the heavy dark sky, only a few birds chirping. Very very much like in England. When there are some strong winds, or a storm, or heavy pounding rain, I can deal with that - it's kinda fun. (If you're inside, which I mostly am). But grey dark stillness, all day, for several days, tests even those (I know) who are normally cheerful / non drinkers.

Bleh. Not an excuse, but just a diary note. Yes, I should be grateful: I have ducted heating; plenty of dvd's or video's to watch; something ready for my dinner a bit later. I have several hundred books; a messy desk in my study, full of domestic paperwork to be filed (but that room is the most dark of all in this particular place, which is generally very light-filled). I've taken my gorgeous doggie out earlier today to play full-on ball retrieving in a nearby park with her.

All I want to do is to either a. go back to bed until an early dinnertime or b. put on my old Concert for George type dvd (Eric Clapton and heaps of others). And blast it, through my ancient Yamaha components and the little Bose speakers. Just for the memories, and to pass an hour or two.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm just trying to take it easy after a few busy days.

I hope you find something satisfying and fulfilling to do this afternoon and evening Vic

D
Old 07-27-2013, 11:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, Dee, I get that. You've had an enormous few days. In fact, I imagine that with all the newcomers flooding in, even apart from your birthday and such, it's hard going.

Am just putting it out there, out of my head.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Bemyself ,

Have you ever thought you might suffer a bit from SAD ? seasonal affective dissorder ? might be worth checking out , you could come up to the uk for summer where you can bask under the grey heavy wet clouds of summer we get here But you can get full spectrum light boxes to help .

Alcohol certainly gave my a kinda dysthymia it lifted after about 6 months in the clear .

I'd also recomend a games consul , i know you said in an earlier thread that it was a boy's toy and i agree to a certain extent but they are designed to be a bit... dare i say it ... addictive .. As i gave up in september here in the UK i had to wait 6 months before i'd get home from work before sun set and needed something to do before bedtime .

Bestwishes, m
Old 07-28-2013, 12:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Have you tried painting? I did that here in January when the winter weather was oppressive to me. Just playing with cheap acrylic paints helped me.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Love winters in the uk, anything better than roasting heat and sun, everyone's different I suppose
Old 07-28-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm with you Dark Days- I live in a hot, tropical climate and absolutely despise it. I love cold, gray, cozy days.

Weather affects people differently, bemyself. I know when I moved here, I was depressed for years- felt like I might have the opposite of SAD. I still hate the weather, but I have had to separate myself from it. It's not something we can control, right?

I hope you got through the day/night, and that the sun shines for you tomorrow
Old 07-28-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

well, troopers, nearly my bedtime. Thanks for your responses - I hadn't expected any!

A good strong wind coming up right now outside (nearly 10 pm), I love listening to it rattling everything for a bit as I drop off to sleep.

Yeah, it's silly isn't it: we complain when it's too hot, muggy, too cold, grey, freezing and snowy, etc etc (yes, I've experienced all of those here in Aus - it's much more nuanced than many realise).

SAD? Oh yes, it's a very real phenomenon - I can't imagine what it's like for people in places like Sweden / Norway for example, or even further north near the Arctic circle - or for us, really south, near Antarctica (like Tasmania). No wonder there's the expression 'cabin fever'. I get it in both the super heat we get here and in these sorts of gloomy cold days.

Anyway, I ended up saying to hell with it, and put on the Concert for George DVD (through the old Yamaha and Bose bits); had a bit of tea (dinner); went back to bed; got up and had some dessert and watched a good current Aussie drama on our public broadcaster the ABC, after a great doco about David Bowie on ABC 2. ......

May the wind rage through the night, but I suspect it's only going to be a bit feeble.

That's ok - off to bed, the dog on her bed beside me and the deep dark.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Nighty night , sleep tight , don't let the bed bugs bite ,

m
Old 07-28-2013, 05:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've been to Melbourne. It wasn't the dead of winter, but it was cold enough to wear a light coat. And yes, it was grey and rainy. I put on my coat and did all the tourist activities anyway. Anyway, Melbourne struck me as an interesting and dynamic city.

It's been a hot, wet summer here on the East Coast of the US. Many cloudy days. I'm hunkered down in my office writing.

It sounds to me like you need to get out of the house, and preferably, out of town. Do you have the money and time for travel? Go hike a volcano in Hawaii or something else awe inspiring.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Last autumn, I made up my mind to try and enjoy winter.....after all, I have no choice! I took daily walks.....and came to enjoy them very much.....I had to hurry to get them in right after I got home from work, before it got dark. They really lifted my mood....followed by something warm to eat, a bubble bath and cozy flannel sheets.....maybe give it a try?
Old 07-29-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

It's quite interesting, and amazes me that as we in Britain are basking in sunshine, you guys over the other side of the world are having winter. I must say predominantly I do love the English weather, I hate miserable, depressing cloudy days which we can specialize in, but couldn't stand to live in a hot climate all year round. My daughter has just come back from Turkey, the new holiday destination for the world & his wife, lol. Personally I find 30/40 temperature detestable, but when I was 20.... Hey ho, that's life. There's nothing like a beautiful spring morning, with blue skies and the temperature just right. I also adore the autumn/fall, especially Canada, and do love a white Christmas. All days are wonderful when we are fit, healthy and well to enjoy them.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear it. I dread and loathe the bitter cold and dark winter days of Chicago. You speak my language when it comes to lack of sun - especially when the sky is just a pale grey, and there is really nothing even interesting to look at. Blue sky and sunshine certainly do make a difference, I am sorry you are going through some tough times. Do what you can, thousands of others in Melbourne are equally frustrated. Carry on as best you can and keep sobriety as your priority.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

bemyself....i hear ya! hate the winter!
Old 07-29-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Winter in July? Never heard of such a thing