Notices

New here, looking for input

Old 07-25-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here, looking for input

Hi, all! I am new here to SR. Quick history, I originally got sober 2001, stayed sober for 5 yrs. I was really involved in AA at that time, but stopped going to meetings, life got good...I got married, had kids and eventually drank again. I have never been a daily drinker, but was always obsessed with when was the next time I would drink. When I have drank (which has been about once every other month), I don't stop. Sometimes, I end up drinking 4-5 days in a row before stopping, usually because I have to go to work the next day. Repeat every 2 months and that's how things have been. All of my relationships suffer when I drink, and I sneak it every time. So, I'd like to know people's experience with alternatives to staying sober, other than AA... Id like to see what else is out there. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-25-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Kitty,
Thanks so much for posting. SR is my main resource when it come to recovery. But...I have several friends from AA that I lean on for support as well although I'm not in the AA world. Is that weird? I don't think so. We muster whatever we can to beat this illness. I think it's the individual relationships that we build, whether SR, AA, or otherwise that give us the support we need to get through this. All the best and please stay close.
Yours,
Cas
Old 07-25-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Kitty, welcome to SR! I get so much from SR itself, and then I read lots of recovery and self-help books, and books on Buddhism more recently.

What is working for me so far is individual therapy, a continuing care group that I attend as a follow-up to an 20 day IOP I did back in April, SR daily, some tools from SMART, a weekly WFS face to face group, and then I have a few recovery friends I met at IOP and at AA meetings that I attended when I was in IOP. We text each other throughout the week just to check in.

AA wasn't the best fit for me, but I do still read the Big Book, the 12 & 12, and As Bill Sees It. So... I do get something from AA, I just don't attend regular meetings anymore... so whatever works, use it!

What has helped me a lot is posting daily affirmations/meditations here on the Spirituality and ACOA forums. That keeps me accountable, and it just gets the day started off right.

Daily meditation is my goal also, but I don't always get that done. Working on it though. I have a pillow set up in a spare bedroom/library that is my "woman cave" and my private space for meditating on my pillow.

Participating in a class here is good too... in the Newcomer Daily Support section, you can find the monthly classes/groups and join one of those. That way you get to know a smaller group and it feels more personal to share.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Kitty! I think you'll find SR very helpful - it feels good to no longer be alone.

I was the same sort of drinker as you. When it got in my system there was always an unpredictable outcome. I never knew for sure where it would end. It's good you're taking a look at what it's doing to your life. I hope you find the support you're looking for by being here.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Awesome! Thanks so much, everyone for the info and support! I really appreciate it!
Old 07-26-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Here are some of the main recovery resources.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html
Old 07-26-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Kitty, I have relied on many great books and the SR community for my recovery.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank u so much Least and Anna!!!
Old 07-26-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Kitty - Welcome to SR! I did go to AA meetings, several years ago, and though I don't go now, I still use what I learned there and have many friends who go to meetings. SR has been a HUGE part of my recovery.

When I got here, I read what worked for others. Though my DOC (drug of choice) was crack, I'd abused other things, so I got ideas from people, no matter what their DOC was.

Some things worked, some didn't (for me), but I kept honing down what did work for me and I've got a good bit of clean time.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 07-26-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Kitty. A massive help for me was AVRT (Rational Recovery) but I still use AA resources to help me too. I listen to speaker tapes at work and I always learn something. I guess like many others SR is my main support but I have attended SMART meetings too, as well as AA meetings and had some one on one support and counselling. Every little helps I think. I guess the important thing is finding what works for you. I found that the ideas behind AVRT really help keep me sober but the support I have gotten here has made it so much more bearable.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hypochondriac- thanks! I just got the book Rational Recovery. I'm barely into it, but it already makes so much sense to me! I'm very hopeful. I KNOW I can do this!
Old 07-26-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Kitty - you'll find a lot of ideas and support here

D