Notices

AA meeting at my work.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA meeting at my work.

While trying to find AA meetings in my area I discovered there is one every Friday, during lunch, where I work! I was shocked. That meeting would be very convenient for me to attend, I like that it is on a Friday right before the possible temptations of the weekend. I have been wondering if I will ever make any non-drinking friends. I have felt a little isolated since I stopped drinking.

There could be good and bad to this, to meet others from work might be nice, we would have two things in common. I know AA is supposed to be anonymous, but I still worry about the anonymity of it all. I work at a very large place so it's likely I will not know anyone there.

Have any of you attended meetings at your workplace and has there been any fallout?
Old 07-25-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I attended AA meetings on site when I worked at Levi Strauss & Co. in San Francisco. Never had any fallout, quite the opposite. Anonymity was honored but on the rough days you knew who you could pull aside for some support or encouragement.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The fact that it's right there at your work should tell you a lot.

1. Your employer recognizes that having AA is of benefit to everyone, otherwise they wouldn't allow the meeting.
2. Even if someone somehow breached anonymity, it's obviously not going to affect your job - again, the employer is allowing the meetings to take place.

I am not in AA but i personally see no downside to this at all, glad you found the meeting.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It sure is convenient to have a meeting so close to your work schedule. Give it a try to see if it works for you.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Pride

Thats awesome. Be proud. If the worst thing someone can say is they saw me at an AA meeting, thats pretty good. Especially when they would say in addiction you see Mike Hanging out that window.

Thanks
Mike
Old 07-25-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Heathen

That is actually really awesome.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

The fact that you didn't even know this meeting existed until today should give you some confidence that you'll still be able to maintain your anonymity.

Sounds like a great option to me. Heck, I wish I had something similar. Hope you give it a try and let us know how it goes!