Notices

Day 2! how to tell friends?

Old 07-25-2013, 06:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2! how to tell friends?

Well its day 2 & I'm dead set on this is the time I'm staying sober! I want to talk to my friends & family so they know I'm serious & I don't want to be invited to drinking events. I'm worried my family wont take me seriously because I've said countless times that I'm quitting and I know my friends will give me the "moderation speech" because they don't understand moderation isn't an option for me. I honestly think most of them don't think I'm an alcoholic because I don't drink from sun up till sun down and I'm not sure how to get through to them. I'm a binge drinker at least twice a week and I've had so many blackouts! I've driven while blacked out and its a miracle I haven't killed someone or myself! I've waken up next to strangers multiple times and I've been raped. I try to keep my drunken hell on the down low so should I just be honest and spill my guts about all my drunken idiocy? I know its silly but I honestly have a huge fear that if I'm sober I wont have a friend left! The last time I had 2 months of sobriety I just became everyone's favorite DD and I can not do that again! Any advice?
Old 07-25-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Also my father is an alcoholic and my mother abuses pills. Her mother also abused pills & her father died from alcoholism so I really want to stop the cycle. I don't want this life for my children!
Old 07-25-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Difficult situation. You want to be taken seriously, but you lack credibility in your friends and families eyes because of past failures in staying sober.

I usually tell people that they should tell the people closest to them that they are quitting if it will keep them accountable. Not telling often leaves the door open to return to drinking, because no one is the wiser.

The other option is to just be firm in your refusual to drink, to attend alcohol related events and activities. "No, thanks" is a complete sentence. If you have to explain your decision, do so to your own level of comfort.

Good luck.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like you will just have to show them. It doesn't sound like this will be too my help right now. Maybe if there are a few people you know you could depend on tell them and just show everyone else.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mistical I know this is a tough one to get your head around, but the only ways things will turn out different for you in the future is to make those changes now.

My body was almost paralysed for weeks at the thought of a life with out alcohol. It took several months to be brave enough and say that's it, No More!!!

I'm 60 days in with no major life improvements, however I am feeling so much more postive about what's to come in the next few days, months and even years.

Tell your friends your sick of feeling like rubbish and hung-over, so you have decide to quit drinking. Make no promises thatyou will still be the same person, tell them you won't join them at parties as often but maybe for specail occasion you would not miss.

Most importantly take care of you first, you deserve so much more.