Notices

What are your thoughts on NA beer and wine?

Old 07-23-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by NorCaliGal View Post
Thanks for your responses! I haven't tried NA beer before. I wasn't looking to fool anyone into thinking I was drinking regular beer. I do enjoy the taste of some, but not all, beers (I was a very picky drunk!) So I thought that NA beer may be an option. But if they don't taste good, as a few people have pointed out, I wont waste my time and stick with other non-alcoholic drinks that I like instead.
My drink of choice was Beer, and only beer. With all the uncertainty about NA beer and it's benefits and drawbacks, I can at least say with 100% certainty that it does NOT taste good compared to regular beer!

One of my new favorite drinks to have around is ginger ale/ginger beer. The mainstream ones are OK but there are several higher end/craft style ones that are really good. And unlike NA beer, ginger beer is 100% alcohol free. Reed's brand is a good one that you can find in lots of different places.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Don't waste your time. I was in a situation recently and drank a ton of NA beer. Made me bloated and I definitely felt crappy the next day. I'd order a mock tail next time - at least they don't have the same side effects and probably much more refreshing.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I drink Becks Blue - it's actually not too bad to drink. It's 0.05% but as far as I'm concerned it's non-alcoholic. I used it in situations where I would normally drink as a substitute - eg on the train home from work. At the beginning I found it really helpful, but I've been drinking them less and less now - not through any deliberate choice, just guess I became more comfortable being sober in those trigger situations.

Whenever I go to the pub (not often as still early days in my sobriety) I ask for a NA beer if they have one. I feel more comfortable drinking that than a lemonade.

Maybe I'm fooling myself and NA beers should not be part of a recovery process but it's helped me so far.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I've haven't tried NA wine but NA beer - yuk :-(

I'm just drinking my lime/water mix and that is low/no calorie and still tastes refreshing.