Notices

Still dealing with Anxiety at 2 years sober.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still dealing with Anxiety at 2 years sober.

So I've been feeling better for quite some time now. Then lately me anxiety is getting bad again. I don't think the hot weather is helping. I feel run down everyday and just not in the best of moods. I'm hoping this is just part of recovery. I've been having trouble staying at work. My anxiety get out of control sometimes.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dunno...at 2 years you may have to consider it an anxiety problem rather than a recovery one BGS?

I can't remember, have you sought professional help?

D
Old 07-21-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have been dealing with that too. My thoughts are on an endless worry loop. I don't take anything for it. I have been walking and I found this place in town that teaches meditation. I am so uptight I actually need to be taught how to be still and relax. psh.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by escapist View Post
I have been dealing with that too. My thoughts are on an endless worry loop. I don't take anything for it. I have been walking and I found this place in town that teaches meditation. I am so uptight I actually need to be taught how to be still and relax. psh.

Oh escapist u should probably speak to a doctor. They have non narcotic anxiety meds . What is your anxiety about? Security? Money?

Here is a link to a video of waves crashing in Hawaii. Sometimes I turn out the lights in my room and watch this and also listen to my streaming bible. It is very soothing.

#1 HAWAII BEACH Video Relaxing Wave Sounds Best Ocean Videos HD HAWAII BEACHES Relaxation Sound - YouTube

Or just listening to the waves and taking slow deep breaths. I hope it is helpful.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am a naturally anxious person. But the booze anxiety was something else. If you are still experiencing anxiety now it is probably best to do something about it rather than wait and see if it goes away, especially if it is effecting your work. But the good news is that that is so much easier sober Look into some CBT techniques or ask your doctor. I have found exercise really helps my anxiety too x
Old 07-22-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by bigguyslimm View Post
So I've been feeling better for quite some time now. Then lately me anxiety is getting bad again. I don't think the hot weather is helping. I feel run down everyday and just not in the best of moods. I'm hoping this is just part of recovery. I've been having trouble staying at work. My anxiety get out of control sometimes.
You know, for some of us anxiety will always be something in our lives. I know I am a bit past the two year marker in my own sobriety, and I still get bouts of anxiety and mood swings, but I can manage it all much easier with a clear head and healthy body. No anxiety I get nowadays is as bad as it was when I was hungover and felt like I was dying. Ive come to realize I am just an anxious person and its something I will probably always have to deal with, but I know I can and its not so bad. Remember, anxiety cant hurt you, its just uncomfortable. It may be just part of who you are, and you may just have a more sensitive nervous system than other people. All the more reason to never use again, because you know how bad you will feel the day after. It was the biggest thing to catapult me into sobriety and making me stay on the right path. I never want to feel that level of anxiety again, like when I was hungover or in withdrawal. Hang in there, you now have the tools to deal with all this with a clear head. Wtg on the 2 years!!!!
Old 07-22-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
I am a naturally anxious person. But the booze anxiety was something else. If you are still experiencing anxiety now it is probably best to do something about it rather than wait and see if it goes away, especially if it is effecting your work. But the good news is that that is so much easier sober Look into some CBT techniques or ask your doctor. I have found exercise really helps my anxiety too x

Working out is my biggest tool in dealing with my anxiety. The other day, a woman came up to me at the gym and said she had noticed me there a lot and wanted to know why I always work out if I am already lean and toned. I told her I am an anxious person and its how I get it all out. Plus, I want to stay toned, so its a win win in my book. I actually dread the days I have to take off from the gym, because I feel so much better when I work out vs. days I dont.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Also, I do take effexor for the anxiety and it works pretty well. You may want to look into something like that. There are so many options out there in regards to taking control of your anxiety, or at least getting it to a manageable level. Like I said, I think its just something many of us will just have to live with. Ive noticed most alcoholics or addicts have a certain level of anxiety, which is probably part of what lead us to use in the first place. Its better sober though, the anxiety you get after using is a whole different beast.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I know I sound like the PAWS poster child here. I get anxiety and depression at the milestones. 2 years is a milestone and actually seems to be the last big one. I can be doing absolutely great and then BOOM. Obsessive thoughts, anger, thoughts of using. It lasts about 2 weeks for me. If it continues you should talk to a doctor. The nice thing that medication will actually work now that you are clean.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Bigguyslimm! I think we joined at about the same time and were going through similar things a couple years ago. Just wanted to say congrats on the two years!