Notices

So it's my 2nd night

Old 07-19-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So it's my 2nd night

Only night #2 for me but I'm still proud of it Today feels more difficult than yesterday was. I figured the 2nd and 3rd days would probably be the worst. I had a terrible headache all day...hopefully that will subside over the next few days.

Do you guys have any good coping techniques I can use? Do you suggest substituting the drinking for something non alcoholic? I've heard ginger ale might help ease the cravings.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The best coping strategy I know of is this

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

I'm not a fan of replacement therapies - I replaced alcohol with soda pop and it took me a couple of years to get *that* addiction sorted....

If you must replace - try and go healthy - ya can't beat water

D
Old 07-19-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Minx

It's all about change, when a craving comes u MUST do something else, call a support person, go for a walk rent a movie, read your big book, drop to ur knees and ask for the strength to stay sober.

Have a cup of t, or a soft drink, eat lollie or chocolate, tis the sugar we miss too because booze is laced with it.

Take care remember its the first drink that gets us drunk, cause if we don't pick up the first one, it ain't going to o any further,

Big hug take care

T

Last edited by Trishd; 07-19-2013 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-19-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used to walk my dogs any time I felt strong cravings.

The dogs loved it.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I used to walk my dogs any time I felt strong cravings.

The dogs loved it.
guess I need a dog haha. I'm sure I could walk my cat, but that might look funny
Old 07-19-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Walk, drink tons of water, meditate, read SR. Tell yourself you can do this. I took Benadryl
At night before bed and that helped with my anxiety.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I found that every day got a little better unless I had a bad day then it was worse. But even worse was better that being lost in the fog of alcohol and drugs. Substitute? At first I was drinking a 12 pack of seltzer every day. I was just feeding the need to have a cold one in my hands. For me, the best thing was to find something different to focus on. Start reading, take walks, take showers, go to bed early, watch movies, anything but falling into that "I'm feeling down I need to get high" trap.

Hope that helps. I think it's only fair to admit that I've only been sober four months and I'm far from being in the clear.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bruce292 View Post
I found that every day got a little better unless I had a bad day then it was worse. But even worse was better that being lost in the fog of alcohol and drugs. Substitute? At first I was drinking a 12 pack of seltzer every day. I was just feeding the need to have a cold one in my hands. For me, the best thing was to find something different to focus on. Start reading, take walks, take showers, go to bed early, watch movies, anything but falling into that "I'm feeling down I need to get high" trap.

Hope that helps. I think it's only fair to admit that I've only been sober four months and I'm far from being in the clear.
thank you. I know you said you are not nearly in the clear, but when did your intense cravings decrease?
Old 07-19-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pleasehelpmeout View Post
thank you. I know you said you are not nearly in the clear, but when did your intense cravings decrease?
The intense cravings ... in a couple of weeks. However, at that point real life started to kick in and all the issues I was trying to suppress were in my face. I've been working on a meditation practice taught at a local hospital that has helped me immensely to control the constant negative chatter in my head. So far it's working for me. I think it's important to have a plan for the long haul. For me it's meditation, for others it's meetings, other something else. There is no single answer.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dee.. I gotta say you are everywhere on this forum with such good things to say... Short and sweet but the just drink water tip.. Aces!!!!

I did the soda thing and that got icky too!!

Lots of water now with Lime and Lemon
Old 07-20-2013, 03:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Timelord

Every time I had cravings I would read this forum. I've also discovered cheap Limeade again the fluorescence stuff I drank as a kid. I doubt it is doing my teeth much good but neither did the coke I used as a mixer. Good luck
Old 07-20-2013, 03:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations, PleaseHelpMeOut, on taking that first step and wanting to be sober. Day 2 is a big accomplishment, and I encourage you to continue!

As for techniques, I find keeping busy is the best one. If my mind is wrapped up in a book, in a task, in running errands, or on a good TV show then I'm not thinking about other things...such as what to drink. Also, at first until you get the cravings out of your system, I recommend food and snacks. Sure, you may gain a pound or two at first, but food is better than alcohol. Then once you get the desire to drink every day, all day, out of your system, THEN you can cut back on the food and perhaps go to the gym instead. Just thoughts. I hope you remain sober. Please keep in touch with us and let us know how you're doing
Old 07-20-2013, 03:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberMarine View Post
If my mind is wrapped up in a book, in a task, in running errands, or on a good TV show then I'm not thinking about other things...
Same here. And it works not just for cravings. If I have something going round and round, I get my hands busy and my mind takes a break. More times than not what ever was bothering me I get the answer to very clear if I give my mind a rest from it.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I did well last night. Visited the SR chat meeting, read a book, and started watching a new tv series. nice to wake up this morning and not feel hung over

bring on day #3!
Old 07-20-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Minx

Originally Posted by sleeper1203 View Post
Walk, drink tons of water, meditate, read SR. Tell yourself you can do this. I took Benadryl
At night before bed and that helped with my anxiety.
Be careful taken Benadryl it either contains alcohol or some other sedative
Old 07-20-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Trishd View Post
Be careful taken Benadryl it either contains alcohol or some other sedative
I took it every single night (Tylenol PM), even while drinking, to help me sleep. That was dangerous. Doc told me that it has benadryl too, which further hurts the liver