Notices

need advice about a meeting

Old 07-18-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

scarystuff, sorry for the bit of thread drift that I'm about to create, but you know me! However, in my defense, this thread is about meetings and I have a question for anyone who has posted who attends AA.

DisplacedGrits, wow, I must have hit the nail on the head and got lucky with the meetings I attend.

At my BigBook Tuesday meeting if the speaker is going over five minutes the person heading up the meeting holds up their hand to show the person they're running out of time. I digress but this always puts me into an inside fit of giggles because it reminds me of the academy awards when they start playing music when someone has gone over their time limit for their acceptance speech. Enough of silliness. Also, the person speaking must remain on topic and it should be in regards to the Big Book and a step and how it affected them. Finally, and this is the one I love, anyone is allowed to say that they are having a bad day. However, if their five minutes seems to be nothing more than focusing on negativity and bitching about how they can't drink they are stopped. This is all politely explained at the beginning and they don't say "then we'll just tell you to shut up" rather "it's ok to say that you've had a bad day but try to bring something positive to what you're saying as well because complete negativity isn't useful to anyone". That may not be exactly what they say but you get the drift.

Do all BigBook meetings not follow this format?
Old 07-18-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm not sure if anyone is still looking at this thread, but I just wanted to take a second to post an update.
I went to the beginners meeting and it was incredible. One of the people that I met the day before at a different meeting happened to call me before, and he was also going to the same meeting, so I got to see him. The meeting itself was really really good. I'm still a total mess on the inside though... emotionally all over the place, nerves are a wreck, scared of everything. And when I leave I actually feel pretty raw. But at the same time, I feel good about it. It's hard to explain. I wanted to cry while I was there, and when it was over I felt raw, but... I don't know. Felt like this is going somewhere. This could work. And sooo many people came up to me after to talk. I think that was the best part. I've never met so many sober people in my life. It's crazy, but it's good. I now have a "temporary" sponsor, and about 15 phone numbers of people who I can call any time. I think I may have a regular sponsor soon, I just have to ask the person. I think one of the biggest things I gained from this week is knowing that I just went to 4 different meetings and had 4 good experiences, and now I know I have a place to go and people to call if I need it. This is all good good stuff. Thank you EVERYONE.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Cool

"...I just went to 4 different meetings and had 4 good experiences..."

Just remember, if you go to a meeting and feel it was 'bad,' that doesn't mean that the meeting is bad; could be just that time the folks at the meeting were having a bad day.

There's a saying that I've heard in AA that I think covers the topic of 'bad' meetings..................: If you've never been to a 'bad' AA meeting, you've not been to enough meetings....................

(o:
NoelleR
Old 07-18-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

good on ya ,scary!

gotta big book yet? if not, google big book online and start reading the 1st 164 pages.

it works if ya work it so work it yer worth it!
Old 07-19-2013, 01:03 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Scarystuff, thanks so much for the update. It's really heartening to hear how well you got on and that you have a temporary sponsor and lots of numbers. I think the rawness is quite normal in the first week. I had it too. It will pass with time and recovery work.

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post

At my BigBook Tuesday meeting if the speaker is going over five minutes the person heading up the meeting holds up their hand to show the person they're running out of time. I digress but this always puts me into an inside fit of giggles because it reminds me of the academy awards when they start playing music when someone has gone over their time limit for their acceptance speech.

[...]

Do all BigBook meetings not follow this format?
Haha, that tickled me rotten! Now whenever the person waves the yellow card in my meetings I'm going to think of that and probably have a giggling fit.

To answer your question, the BB and step meetings I go to follow a similar format but I guess there are slight differences with each meeting's format.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:40 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scarystuff View Post
I'm not sure if anyone is still looking at this thread, but I just wanted to take a second to post an update.
Your kidding right? I have been hanging on the edge of my chair

I'm still a total mess on the inside though... emotionally all over the place, nerves are a wreck, scared of everything. And when I leave I actually feel pretty raw. But at the same time, I feel good about it. It's hard to explain. I wanted to cry while I was there, and when it was over I felt raw, but... I don't know. Felt like this is going somewhere. This could work.
I know that feeling. It can work if you are willing.

I've never met so many sober people in my life.
This is so true! LOL I was sort of in awe. That still hits me sometimes when I go to a large meeting.

I am glad you had such a wonderful experience. It is life changing. Keep coming back
Old 07-19-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Scarystuff, I was also waiting to hear how the meeting went! Like I said in my other post, it's so great to read something so positive about recovery! Sounds like you are right where you should be, raw and willing to do whatever it takes. That is AWESOME that you got a temporary sponsor. Keep on hitting those meetings, keep on meeting other sober people, keep on doing what you're doing. We're all rooting for you.

As a side note, there is a pretty good Beginner's Meeting at my fellowship, and some of the 'regulars' at that meeting have over 30 years. You're never too far in the program to forget where you came from.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi. Even after 30+ years of not drinking thanks to AA I still consider each day that I'm a beginner and still attend/chair beginners meetings. It's great to have your choices. When I came around my area had about 10 meetings a week, now there are several hundred. I kept coming because I heard the words "KEEP COMING" it works. Sure does. BE WELL
Old 07-19-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I returned to this thread hopeful to get an update. And I did! So glad it all went so very well.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Here is a suggestion, something I did in early recovery: practice using the phone list you have. Call a couple people and just say, "Hi, I am doing well and practicing using the phone list. How are you today?"

In reality, especially if it is mid-day when you try this, you will probably just get voice mail. Keep trying until you get a person who at least has the time to say, "Hello." This can be a bit frustrating, but this is one reason why it is good to "practice" using the phone list--so you know what to expect if you ever "need" to use it.

Best wishes and keep going to meetings--it works!