Notices

In need of support and encouragement

Old 07-16-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy In need of support and encouragement

I have been thinking for a while about joining a forum like this, so hopefully it will be helpful. Yesterday was my last day of using, (opiates) but I fear a relapse could happen even as soon as tonight. It's a scary feeling when you don't even know what to expect out of yourself. The worst part is that I am pregnant, and I have two other children and was able to stay clean throughout both pregnancies with ease, this time is different. My using keeps getting worse and has caused my other two children to be put into foster care. If I don't stay clean, I will lose them forever, and this baby as well. If that happens I will never forgive myself and pretty much know that I will continue to use until my life is over. The longest I have ever been sober was 11 months and was the happiest I have ever been in my entire life. I am 24 now and have been addicted to opiates since I was 16. I guess I am just asking others if they have ever and how they ever pulled themselves out of a completely hopeless and terrifying situation by getting and staying sober. 5% of me knows that I can do this but the other 95% is completely afraid.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR happyness. You'll find plenty of support here - it's a great place to be.

You have a special reason for wanting to stop using, and you say the 11 months you were sober was the happiest you've ever been. Sounds like excellent motivation to me - and we know it can be done. I have no experience with opiates, but others will. I'm sure you'll find the encouragement you're looking for. Glad you found us. You are not alone.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi happyness49,
It was a brush with the law and the threat of a long jail sentence that started me on this journey. When I saw those flashing lights behind me, I thought it was the worst day of my life. In reality, it was the best thing that could have happened because I was definitely on a mission that most likely would have ended in me dying an addict and alcoholic. I cannot say what will work for you but I can share what worked for me.
I am forever grateful to the judge that gave me a second chance and instead of sending me to prison allowed me to participate in court ordered drug awareness class, 12-step meetings and random urine tests as well as a deferred 5 year probation.
While attending the classes I decided that I might as well listen and participate instead of watching the clock as I saw so many in the class doing. i learned alot about the disease of addiction and myself. At the 12-step meetings I found people who understood me and I felt like I belonged. I followed most of the suggestions and was able to stay clean and sober for a few years.....I can't really say I was in recovery then BUT I didn't use or drink. My true freedom came when I got a sponsor and worked the steps. Now start every day with prayer, reading, and meditation that way I begin each day grounded in recovery and spiritually centered. At first it seemed like a task but now I see it as an opportunity to embrace and enhance my recovery.
Next month I will celebrate 6 years, I am certain I couldn't have done it on my own. I also believe that it doesn't matter so much how we got here as that we do not have to travel this journey alone. Welcome!!
Old 07-16-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have no experience with opiates either but want to welcome you to the family!
Old 07-16-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome to sr I have never taken opiates so I don't know what the detox is like but if you think you need medical attention please seek it. You have done this before and you can do it again!
Old 07-16-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi happyness - you'll find any number of stories here from people who dug themselves out and turned their lives around, regardless of the drug involved

glad you found us

D
Old 07-16-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, you will find support here. From what I understand, getting off opiates is tough - but achievable. Many people who feel hopeless turn to rehab clinics or medical centers, myself included. I never thought I would find myself in treatment, but to be honest it probably saved my life. I hope you consider calling a detox center or consulting with a medical professional. Best of luck and welcome!
Old 07-16-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Of course, you're afraid, but I bet you are more afraid of the thought of losing your two children and the child yet to be born. Use that fear to give you to push to stay sober and focus on your pregnancy. It might seem hopeless now, but staying sober could give your children the mother they deserve. Have faith that you can do this.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Happyness
I've seen my fiancee come off heroin and it was pretty ugly, have you talked to a doctor or something for the withdraws??
There is a switch inside your mind where one day you just say enough is enough and you push as hard as you can, coming to SR was an amazing decision
Old 07-16-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Night owl

Welcome to SR, happyness! You can do this, you have done it before. Like you said, your 11 months of sobriety were the happiest of your life.

Do you have any support system in place to help you in withdrawing from the opiates? Especially being pregnant you need to be careful coming off of the opiates. Do you have a doctor or midwife who could help you? OR as others suggest going to inpatient rehab, detox or even the emergency room.

Coming here is a great first start to reaching out. SR is filled with information, wisdom and lots of support. Can you get into some face to face support too? Outpatient or inpatient counseling, NA meetings, anything to help you in getting strong in your recovery.