Notices

Recent Relapse

Old 07-16-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recent Relapse

Hello all, I just recently relapsed after almost 2 years of drug free living. I had occasionally drank alcohol during that time, but then the cravings for the drugs pulled me back into that lifestyle.
I also managed to attract the attention of the local police and caught 2 charges. Which is a good thing, though, because I know that will help keep me sober. It always has in the past.

I guess I'm just looking for a place to get things off my mind, and also to reach out to others in the same place I am, to encourage one another.

Thanks for reading, and I hope I can help others on the road to recovery.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just had a slip,I know exactly how you feel but I guess al I can tell u is to pick yourself up by the boot straps and dust yourself off and start over. They say a day at a time but I personally have to break it down to an hour at a time. Don't beat yourself up about it just move on,I know how the guilt of a relapse can effect me ,don't do it it's not worth it...if you need to talk let me know...good luck
Old 07-16-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR altchoice. It's a great place to share and reach out, so you have found the right place. Sorry to hear of your arrests and relapse, and glad you realize the magnitude. Have you decided to eliminate alcohol 100% as well? Sounds like the occasional drinking might have been a precursor to the drug cravings. I've personally finally realized ( after several attempts at moderation and several relapses ) that the only solution for me is to never drink anything again, ever.

Whatever your choice is, you will find lots of info here on support methods/groups, and just general support. Let us know how we can be of help!
Old 07-16-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome. Sorry your learning process included trouble which it quite often does. This is a good place to start and share our recovery and learn how to get honest with ourselves. Relapses are not a necessary part of the journey to sobriety. If we don't pick up the first whatever we don't have to sober up again. Most of my learning came from flesh AA meetings which I still attend. BE WELL
Old 07-16-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm sorry you relapsed after two years clean, but you know what to do now - get back up on the wagon and give it your all.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by altchoice View Post
Hello all, I just recently relapsed after almost 2 years of drug free living. I had occasionally drank alcohol during that time, but then the cravings for the drugs pulled me back into that lifestyle.
I also managed to attract the attention of the local police and caught 2 charges. Which is a good thing, though, because I know that will help keep me sober. It always has in the past.

I guess I'm just looking for a place to get things off my mind, and also to reach out to others in the same place I am, to encourage one another.

I just had a slip too,u can't beat yourself up about it just start over,that's what I'm doing. The guilt is not going to do anything but make it worse.just pick yourself up and start over,it's a new day,yesterday's gone and tomorrow isn't here yet,just deal in the day...

Sent from my iPad using SoberRecovery
Old 07-16-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have such a hard time knowing what to say to relapse posts because I fear for the self abuse going on in the person's mind. I know you are likely kicking yourself 9 ways into sunday. Relapse is so very hard on the psyche ..and the soul even I think. It's the self battery that can be so damaging to our efforts in just simply standing back up and carrying on.

I hope that somewhere within you..you want to be sober for you..and not to avoid trouble. I hope you want to get to know and respect yourself...and to figure yourself and this thing life. I just really hope you want it for you. I know that when I first quit, my biggest motivator was to not harm anyone else..but in pretty short order my sobriety became about no longer harming me.

Welcome...welcome back to sobriety.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad your here.....that was me a week or so ago as I had relapsed after going toward my 90 days. I was kicking myself till about yesterday. It didn't do any good either. Pick up and move on and try not to beat yourself up
myjoureny
Old 07-16-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hope you learn from your relapse but accept responsibility too. I just relapsed and I hope that I can get over how guilty I feel. We just have to be stronger.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Acheleus View Post
I hope you learn from your relapse but accept responsibility too. I just relapsed and I hope that I can get over how guilty I feel. We just have to be stronger.
First and foremost, you have to forgive yourself and move on with your sobriety.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for listening and giving me good advice. I was beating myself up yesterday, but earlier today I've stopped doing that. I'm now focused on getting back into a recovery group like Celebrate Recovery, or something along those lines.
Also looking into joining a Church which is something I haven't done in decades. I'm not the most devout person, but it could only be a good thing to surround myself with good hearted people.
Thanks again for taking the time to respond everyone.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

ScottFromWI, the alcohol is a big problem in it's own right. Although I don't get extremely intoxicated, or drink everyday, I am a closet drinker. I eventually will give up everything, but the alcohol is probably the most difficult.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wecome altchoice! I'm so glad you found us. This place helped me get sober and got me back on my feet. I never realized there were so many out there just like me. I hope you'll find the help & support you need.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Just a question. Do you think the occasional drink had anything to do with the relapse?
Old 07-16-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Welcome to SR, altchoice. It's great that you've got a plan to get support in your recovery and that you're going to be taking action. I find that coming on SR regularly and posting is also very helpful to my recovery. Keep us updated on how Celebrate Recovery and church goes.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by altchoice View Post

glad ya made it back, but one thing that catches my attention is charges helping keep you clean in the past( wouldn't drinkin alcohol negate being clean?). since yer back after a relapse, im thinkin it really didn't help.

how many times has it helped in the past?
Old 07-16-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome altchoice

D
Old 07-16-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stellar45 View Post
Just a question. Do you think the occasional drink had anything to do with the relapse?
Some of them, yes. I wanted the high to be higher. Although, I have relapsed more often sober than not. It's like playing Russian Roulette, though, because the cravings become prominent about 50% of the times I have consumed alcohol.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
glad ya made it back, but one thing that catches my attention is charges helping keep you clean in the past( wouldn't drinkin alcohol negate being clean?). since yer back after a relapse, im thinkin it really didn't help.

how many times has it helped in the past?
By helping I mean I will abstain totally. A failed drug test is an automatic 45 days in jail in my area. That alone will force me to stop. Also, there are many in the Judicial System that aid in rehabilitation in a positive way, to discourage use altogether.