Notices

Volunteering in Recovery

Old 07-12-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I volunteer in my local animal shelter cat kennel and I love it. Most cats get adopted quickly (it's a no-kill shelter). I help them put their best paw forward in interviews with potential guardians. I also play with them, groom them, and keep their kennels clean.

I also volunteer at my local hospital visiting very sick or dying or elderly patients. I find that much more difficult. I'm really never sure what the right thing to say or do is. I don't know that I will continue it much longer.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jennie, I did the exact same thing, but actually managed to start on week 1 of sobriety. I worked with women who lived on the street /in poverty at a drop-in day centre. I can honestly say I started out believing I had something to offer these women but I quickly learned they offered me far more. The strength, grace, positive attitude and endurance of these woman made them role models to me. I was lucky to work with them for 8 years before I had to move away. It was one of the best experiences of my life. At the time, it saved me from myself.

I applaud you and I know you will have an unforgettable experience.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Great to hear you've got this volunteering opportunity, Jennie. I don't have any advice on volunteering in recovery as I've only ever volunteered when I was drinking so I never stayed committed to one project for long. But now I'm in recovery, I'm on the look out for volunteering opportunities. I've been reading everyone's replies on this thread with great interest and find it really encouraging. So thanks for making the thread!
Old 07-12-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've done a lot of volunteering - from disabled kids to old people, thrift shops and libraries....I really recommend it

like Anna said I went there to help but instead got helped myself - there was nothing better for taking me out of myself and giving me back a sense of perspective in helping others
Old 07-12-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

12 steps programs emphasis doing service as a way to maintain sobriety. Service is actually one of the foundations of AA and like others said, it puts things in perspective and get us out of ourselves.
I have volunteered for years now and I think it really kept my alcoholism at bay on some level. I probably would have hit my bottom way faster if it was not for the nature of my job and for volunteering: nothing like working with others who have less than we do to stay off the pity pot and count our blessings.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Jennie, I volunteer for a local rescue organization and foster dogs. I really enjoy it. I have two dogs of my own but live by myself so I have the room and the time. It's been a great experience. I also have gone with my sponsor a few times to a local detox center. That has really been interesting. I tell my story even though I've only been a few months sober but my sponsor tells me that it is good for newcomers to tell their story. It gives hope. Anyway, good luck to you in your efforts.

I'm also a lot like you in that I'm kind of a recluse too. I don't like to leave my comfort zone so doing some volunteering helps me get out.

Have a great weekend.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:47 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Before I had my kids, I volunteered in the Children's section of the library, and I also did some work with adult literacy.

When my boys were little, I volunteered at my son's special needs school, and also did quite a bit of service work type stuff when my boys were in Boy Scouts.

Now that my boys are older, I'm thinking I could get back into volunteering. I would love to see if there is a literacy program or GED prep course for women locally.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
iwh

i think this is great that the positives of volunteering and helping each other are coming out.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:26 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Night owl

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
There is a pets for homeless people charity that I came across once... they help provide food for homeless peoples pets. I'm thinking I could handle that, cause I don't think they are actually around the pets... they just hook them up with food.
This is a great thread with a lot of great ideas, everyone, thank you.

The above really caught my eye as I have needed human food bank help in the past which helped me in many ways. I didn't even think about asking for food for my animal companions. It's incredible to find out that there are organizations that address this.

I actually just took a quick peek and found some listings including this one: Save Our Pets Food Bank. Awesome.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:38 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I volunteer here for a cats charity - they helped with the cost of speying my 2 so thought I would give something back. It's only standing with a collection pot in shops, and it can be pretty soul destroying standing for hours on end whilst the majority ignores you BUT it was nice to just get out and about, chat with those that did stop and were interested and feel like I've done something positive.

I'd like to do some more volunteering, probably something with more interaction. When DD starts school if I'm not working I'll go back to the library and ask. I have asked before but they said because of health and safety I wasn't allowed to bring her with me (but she loves the library!)

Great ideas everyone and well done Jennie
Old 07-13-2013, 03:44 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Good on you Jennie, it's a win-win to volunteer. I volunteer online, I admin and moderate at a forum -- nothing to do with addiction -- and it's great. What I do has taught me patience, acceptance and diplomacy -- none of those come naturally to me but I've learned them through the work I do. I believe that I am giving in what I do and I know I'm giving a lot more now that I am completely reliable in sobriety. Good luck to you!