Notices

I'm going to Prison...

Old 07-08-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm going to Prison...

... As a volunteer!

Bringing a meeting to the ladies at the Women's max security facility in my area. Got my clearance last week after attending the required orientation and passing background check. I feel really good about this. It seems like a calling and something new to help me stay involved in AA just when I was starting to fall off the map a bit... Thank you HP for once again doing for me what I couldn't do all by myself. Awesome. Obviously I will be careful in there and take all necessary precautions. I hope me and the other volunteers can be a good example to the inmates, I know many of them do want sobriety.

Anyway, sorry if this is coming across as me bragging about how great I think I am for volunteering. I honestly don't feel like I'm deserving of any "atta girls" and that's not the intention of the post. The point of the post is to express my gratitude to my HP and the people in my program for keeping me sober by giving me this motivation. I applied for this clearance a long time ago at the urging of another sober woman who has done it before and then as the months went by I forgot all about it! My state's legal system is pretty bogged down I assume. The last couple months I've just been DRAGGING myself to meetings and my step work has been incredibly tedious. I kind of felt like giving up until this news came. I think service work is the best thing for me because I'm so self obsessed sometimes! I need to be looking at what I can do for others; staying in gratitude. Hopefully I can be a better example than I've been lately. I'm glad I didn't quit when I felt like it. I'm super thankful I didn't relapse, I was in a bad spot mentally which puts me at risk for relapse.

I'm really kind of stoked for a change. Something new.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sure you'll be a lot of help to the inmates there.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is really great! I am sure you will do a lot of good
Old 07-08-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

You sure have a way with headlines LOL
Thank you for doing service and way to go
Old 07-08-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

BabyJane, you're such a joker Seriously, good for you and the people you'll be working with! Let us know how it goes. I was thinking of doing the same thing. Your post is very timely too - we have to have six months sobriety to serve, so this is a good motivational reminder. Thanks!