Notices

New and unsure where life is headed.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and unsure where life is headed.

My husband is currently in a 30 day treatment program for alcoholism. All of his problems have just recently come to light.
It all started about three weeks ago when he came home from work sick and throwing up, I figured it was a flu or something. The next morning he went to the doctor where they hooked him up to an IV and sent him by ambulance to the hospital. At first they thought it was serotonin poisoning from his antidepressants, but as they were treating him it seemed more and more like alcohol withdrawal.
After questioning him about it, he admitted that his drinking had increased and he was drinking a lot. His sickness set in because he stopped for two days and his body could t handle it. I guess I knew he drank a lot and daily, but I had never imagined it had gotten to this point.
He works nights and I work days, so we don't always have a lot of time to spend together, so I had no real idea the amount that he was drinking all night long, every single night. In hindsight, yes, there were red flags, but I never considered him as having a real problem until the hospital stay.
He had to spend four days in the hospital, three of which were in ICU. The very next day after being released, he bought himself a liter of whiskey and started drinking at 1:30 in the afternoon. By the time he got half way through it, I was so mad I dumped the rest out and locked myself in our room. When I came out to check on him, he had another half liter of bourbon he had hidden out and was drinking still, so I dumped that out. It was a horrible night filled with drunken rants and scary behavior.
The next day he said he was going to try and sober up and go to AA, but none of that happened, he continued to drink more days than not, justifying it by saying he was only drinking beer now and not whiskey. Both his boss and I knew he wasn't going to be able to stop on his own and I'm so grateful to his boss for getting all the info and necessary paperwork to get him started in a treatment program, which my husband accepted willingly.
He's been there about a week and a half and seems to be doing well, but now I'm left in this limbo of not knowing how our relationship is going to change and how our lives are going to change and if I'll be able to handle those changes.
I just feel blindsided and a little abandoned because he's getting all this support to get well while I'm left here to pick up the pieces on my own.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome midnightfallen

you'll find a load of support here

Have you thought of something like AlAnon as well? - there's more support there.

We also have a Family and Friends forum here you might like to check out as well

D
Old 07-07-2013, 02:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You need some support for yourself in your situation. I too suggest AlAnon and also the friends and family forums are helpful. Feel free to post here or anywhere on the site.

Here's a link to the f and f forum.

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 07-07-2013, 06:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome. I've already found some comfort by reading other posts and advice here and I'm looking forward to sharing this site with my husband when he gets out of treatment.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Welcome, thanks for sharing.

I hid my alcohol problem - my husband didn't know it was as bad as it was until right before I checked into outpatient rehab.

The best thing he did for me was to remove my access to money. He took my credit and debit cards, checkbooks, and even the loose change around the house. He gives me just enough money to buy a soda or something small. I am 18 days sober, and I still haven't got any of it back.

Sending up some prayers for you and him.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that your husband decides to stop drinking.

Please check out AlAnon and as others have said we have a Friends and Families forum on the boards here.