Notices

Getting over past embarassments

Old 07-06-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting over past embarassments

Hello

I have finally made the decision to quit binge drinking on the weekends. I'm done with bars, blacking out, spending $100 on booze every weekend, saying stupid things, hangovers, etc.

I've realized that if I continue going down this path (I'm newly 23) there's a chance I won't be able to turn around. I've already noticed that when I start drinking to get drunk (having more than 4 drinks) that I want to keep going to the point of no return. No more.

One thing that's probably causing the most anxiety for me is all of the past embarrassments I've caused myself. Saying stupid things to people at bars, people I went to high school with. I know that I'm 23 and most of the people at the bars are my age and they're all doing the same thing but it's bothering me so much. I don't want to be known as a drunken fool.

Thanks for letting me ramble. Here's to a sober saturday night
Old 07-06-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's good that recognize where this could lead. I wish I would have figured it out before I spent months in jail, time in hospitals and mental facilities and a laundry list of broken relationships and lies. You can do it!! There is a ton of support out there
Old 07-06-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

That's a very wise decision to quit drinking. I quit and never looked back and am much happier now. You can be too.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by limeskittles View Post
Hello

I have finally made the decision to quit binge drinking on the weekends. I'm done with bars, blacking out, spending $100 on booze every weekend, saying stupid things, hangovers, etc.

I've realized that if I continue going down this path (I'm newly 23) there's a chance I won't be able to turn around. I've already noticed that when I start drinking to get drunk (having more than 4 drinks) that I want to keep going to the point of no return. No more.

One thing that's probably causing the most anxiety for me is all of the past embarrassments I've caused myself. Saying stupid things to people at bars, people I went to high school with. I know that I'm 23 and most of the people at the bars are my age and they're all doing the same thing but it's bothering me so much. I don't want to be known as a drunken fool.

Thanks for letting me ramble. Here's to a sober saturday night

Oh, we have ALL done and said things we regret. Dont dwell on them, because if you were in a bar........chances are no one will remember or even paid much attention. I went to the club I used to work at a few months ago, but I no longer drink, and it was surreal watching everyone just stand around getting wasted, talking about the same thing over and over, and just being goofy. I know I used to look like that, and I realized no one was even listening to each other, just talking for the sake of talking.

Id let it go, and I know thats hard to do. Time placed between now and your future self will make all these small embarrassments seems less and less important. Hang in there!!!
Old 07-06-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by limeskittles View Post
So no more drunken fool Seriously, nothing abates that anxiety like sobriety. I was mortified at my behaviour when I first quit but over a year down the line I am not even remotely embarrassed anymore. I also beat myself up repeatedly about stuff that happened when I was 17 (I'm 31 now). And no one else seems to remember this stuff. I think when you make a tit out of yourself no one much notices as long as they're okay. Also those thoughts are the sort of things that keep people in the drinking trap so do not dwell on them for now, and like I said, in time they won't bother you Glad you're here x
Old 07-06-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow I admire you. I wish I had admitted I had an issue when I was your age. Would have saved me a lot of heartache - and headaches!

Just because some other buffoons do it and do not seem to care should have no bearing on how you feel. Trust your feelings, they don't lie.

I think you are making the right decision. Now take that $100 a weekend and put in an investment account and you'll be loaded in 40 years!
Old 07-06-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's a perfect age to realize the dangerous road you were on - congratulations!
Old 07-06-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome limeskittles

I agree with the others - would give anything to have back all the wasted years. I insisted on trying to manage my drinking - never realized it was impossible. I'm happy you've come to this conclusion and won't let alcohol steal your life from you. We're glad you're here.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's time to move on. Just forgive yourself for your past mistakes and leave that life behind. It's time to focus on a positive activity that can bring you joy in the future. Alcohol doesn't seem to lead to good times all the time. Best of luck to you.