Notices

Happily in Recovery

Old 07-06-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post Happily in Recovery

[FONT="Tahoma"]

Greetings Everyone!

Glad to find this site and that so many varieties of support are being offered.

I'm a recovering food addict with soon-to-be 2 years of abstinence and 100lbs weight loss. Recovery is the best thing I ever did-not only for myself but for all those I love. I'm able to enjoy life and family and friends as I never could before. The body sure feels better, but nothing's better than the clarity between the ears

Looking forward to connecting with you and being part of a community of support!

Namaste~
Old 07-06-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow, you should be so proud of yourself! WHat an amazing success story! I am sure your body is so much more healthy now, you did a great thing. Congratulations!!
Old 07-06-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since March 21, 2013

Congratulations on both of your accomplishements!

I only have a little more than 3 months sobriety. I am just starting to feel well enough that one year is possible.

Your post gives me encouragement to set my goals much higher.

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR and congrats on conquering your food addiction.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Willingness View Post
[FONT="Tahoma"]

Greetings Everyone!

Glad to find this site and that so many varieties of support are being offered.

I'm a recovering food addict with soon-to-be 2 years of abstinence and 100lbs weight loss. Recovery is the best thing I ever did-not only for myself but for all those I love. I'm able to enjoy life and family and friends as I never could before. The body sure feels better, but nothing's better than the clarity between the ears

Looking forward to connecting with you and being part of a community of support!

Namaste~
You know, I always feel for people who are addicted to food. Its an addiction like any other, but for some reason, doesnt seem to be taken as seriously as lets say alcoholism or drug addiction. I think its just as serious, and quite prevolent around the globe. Im so happy to hear about the amazing progress you have made, and congrats on that massive weight loss. You should hold your head high.

Food addiction is not an easy thing, because not only is your addiction directly obvious in your personal appearance, but unlike with alcohol and drugs, you cannot simply abstain from eating or avoid food all together. I think to beat food addiction you have to be quite strong. It would be like me kicking alcoholism, but still having to take a few sips a day to not die. You have to eat to live, so this makes kicking a food addiction that much more difficult. I dont think many people understand this and just how difficult having a food addiction can be. So you, my friend, are pretty amazing in all you have accomplished. Well done!
Old 07-06-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow...thanks!

Nighthawk8820, least, KaytiP, and TexasMichael -

Thank you all for your kind words...it's really appreciated!

I must add, however, that I haven't conquered anything accept maybe my refusal to be honest with myself - one day at a time. And, I am still (and I expect I always will be) a food addict.

I didn't set out with a goal in mind or to lose a bunch of weight. I simply could not continue the downward spiral of self-loathing as an active addict any longer...I knew I was literally killing myself slowly and I had a choice to make:
1) Die young after living a miserable life running from every uncomfortable feeling by numbing out on horrific quantities of food, or
2) surrender to what is.

So I'd say I feel more gratitude than pride.
It's not willpower, it's willingness.

Thank you all again for your warm welcome and encouragement!