Notices

Urban Centers and Quitting Drugs

Old 07-05-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Urban Centers and Quitting Drugs

Hi all,
My name is Victor. Ive wrote here in the last few weeks about my current addiction to cocaine and alcohol. Im in the realm of 1-2 times a week. Wrote extensively and have received wonderful support from this community thus far. Thank you. Today I wanted to write about living in big cities and how we are more exposed to drugs and alcohol.

So after living in Los Angeles I decided to leave my apartment and move out of the urban area into a more calm secluded region surrounded by forest, lakes and fresh air. Did this in the last 2 days. I dont know if its a sudden change provoked by coming down from going 3 days straight last weekend but I can do that because I work from home and only work in the office one maybe two days out of the week. I find it fascinating because its so peaceful out here that I have not had a craving for cocaine in a week and i've managed to reduce my alcohol in-take so far. I feel that in Los Angeles I lived in a hip neighborhood that had great bars, restaurants, clubs and beautiful people, just writing about this makes me want... no, crave a cocktail and a bump but out here away from an urban center, in nature, in peace I feel so comfortable and safe. Sure, it might be the easy way out but I have been feeling great. In fact I made it a point to start seeing a therapist twice a month and working out my issues.

Im not going to lie, i crave it a lot, and even have the infamous 'cocaine dreams', these are dreams i have of hooking up a baggie and being at a party, they are so vivid sometimes. But I guess something that stops me here out in a suburban area is that I dont excite the brain by constantly driving by clubs, restaurants, bars, advertising... and just that electric vibe a big city has, and saying, oh well, why not, ill have a drink, then two drinks turns into a call to the hook up guy who is always MORE than glad to come make a sale...

So i wanted to write my opinion about this. Does living in big cities tend to make us more of an addict?

Im going to try to stop my alcohol intake and hopefully STOP my cocaine addiction. Its been about 3 days but Im feeling good about this time around.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think the location matters as much as our social circle.

I've been drunk and high and then sober in the same city - the difference was the people I was hanging out with, and the priorities and focus I had.

D
Old 07-05-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Victor : congratulations on 3 days , way to go. Keep us updated . Post often.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by victorward View Post
So i wanted to write my opinion about this. Does living in big cities tend to make us more of an addict?
There are probably more temptations. From my experience, illegal substances are more readily available in just about any US city. But I also believe our friends and social circle has a very big influence.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I live in a big city and also spend a lot of time in a country home in a small, rural town. Both places have their own drinking/using culture. I find it just as hard to abstain in the country than I do on the city.

LA has so many non-drinking activities. You can hike in runyon canyon, Elysian park, Griffith park. There's the beach. There are so many museums, different kinds of ethnic neighborhoods to visit. You can throw a rock and hit a juice bar/pilates studio/yoga studio/ meditation center. There's shopping, of course there are movies. It just takes a little creativity and a willingness to step out of your old patterns.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by victorward View Post
Hi all,
My name is Victor. Ive wrote here in the last few weeks about my current addiction to cocaine and alcohol. Im in the realm of 1-2 times a week. Wrote extensively and have received wonderful support from this community thus far. Thank you. Today I wanted to write about living in big cities and how we are more exposed to drugs and alcohol.

So after living in Los Angeles I decided to leave my apartment and move out of the urban area into a more calm secluded region surrounded by forest, lakes and fresh air. Did this in the last 2 days. I dont know if its a sudden change provoked by coming down from going 3 days straight last weekend but I can do that because I work from home and only work in the office one maybe two days out of the week. I find it fascinating because its so peaceful out here that I have not had a craving for cocaine in a week and i've managed to reduce my alcohol in-take so far. I feel that in Los Angeles I lived in a hip neighborhood that had great bars, restaurants, clubs and beautiful people, just writing about this makes me want... no, crave a cocktail and a bump but out here away from an urban center, in nature, in peace I feel so comfortable and safe. Sure, it might be the easy way out but I have been feeling great. In fact I made it a point to start seeing a therapist twice a month and working out my issues.

Im not going to lie, i crave it a lot, and even have the infamous 'cocaine dreams', these are dreams i have of hooking up a baggie and being at a party, they are so vivid sometimes. But I guess something that stops me here out in a suburban area is that I dont excite the brain by constantly driving by clubs, restaurants, bars, advertising... and just that electric vibe a big city has, and saying, oh well, why not, ill have a drink, then two drinks turns into a call to the hook up guy who is always MORE than glad to come make a sale...

Im going to try to stop my alcohol intake and hopefully STOP my cocaine addiction. Its been about 3 days but Im feeling good about this time around.
Addiction in general seems to be more prevalent in cities because they are more densely populated. I think you should feel blessed you were able to disconnect and move to a beautiful location like the one you described. I would have loved to do that when I was detoxing, and actually would still prefer to live somewhere like that even now, 2 years sober. I love nature and being out of the hustle and bustle of the city. I used to think I was so trendy and loved the city, now I find its not the case at all. Thanks for the post.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't think location matters as much as your mindset, your determination to be sober.