Notices

Need some positive ensurance about Subs

Old 07-05-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need some positive ensurance about Subs

Yes I posted in another thread but no views or replied so desperate Im reposting here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How about some positive feed back ,, I came to this site for encouragement and the only replies I or my wife have received is negative , how Subs caused them worse feelings then any wd's ever did ! Well my wife goes in for her first dose of subs in 3-1/2 hours & I go in this Tuesday. After reading some of the replies we now are doubting this is the right choice for us ,, please some one post a positive experience with Subs ,, please we need to hear something positive & need to hear it soon ,, if it is negative no matter how honest just don't post ,, please !
Old 07-05-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I saw an expert on treating opiate addiction on a local documentary (we have a very robust recovery community over there in St Paul), he said that suboxone (sp?) treatment can be very effective in helping addicts return to a normal lifestyle and on the statistics it aids chances of successful recovery.

He had this chart of relapse rates w/o methadone or suboxone over time, and about 2-3 weeks in the stats for unaided quitting got really grim.

If your doctor says it is going to help then it probably is going to help. I would trust my doctor over random forum post from POSTER3312. Also remember that there's a certain amount of selection bias in what you read here, in that many posters are still looking for an answer. If going on sub is the answer for you and treatment is working wonders, maybe you don't go seeking out help on the internet and end up here.

That's pretty positive, right?

Good luck!
Old 07-05-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Notmyrealname View Post
I saw an expert on treating opiate addiction on a local documentary (we have a very robust recovery community over there in St Paul), he said that suboxone (sp?) treatment can be very effective in helping addicts return to a normal lifestyle and on the statistics it aids chances of successful recovery.

He had this chart of relapse rates w/o methadone or suboxone over time, and about 2-3 weeks in the stats for unaided quitting got really grim.

If your doctor says it is going to help then it probably is going to help. I would trust my doctor over random forum post from POSTER3312. Also remember that there's a certain amount of selection bias in what you read here, in that many posters are still looking for an answer. If going on sub is the answer for you and treatment is working wonders, maybe you don't go seeking out help on the internet and end up here.

That's pretty positive, right?

Good luck!

Thanks ! I will take whatever I can get at this point :-)

I'm just anxious I guess ,, both excited and scared at the same time
reading about negative experiences this close to starting a new program and not knowing anyone personally who went thru it caught me off guard
Old 07-05-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How did you get clean from alcohol, street drugs and cigarettes? Likely the same program will treat pain pills.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-05-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
How did you get clean from alcohol, street drugs and cigarettes? Likely the same program will treat pain pills.

All the best.

Bob R
thanks for the encouragement but not the same

Cigarettes - I used the Gum
Alcohol - I never was a big drinker and just didn't like the feeling of being drunk

Street drugs - I went to jail at the time my DOC was meth ,, when I got out of jail and never used meth again.

Opiates - came from prescribed pain pills before after back surgery , yes going to jail may work but not a route I would like to go :-)

That answers your question , but thank you very much for the reply
Old 07-05-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You should trust the advice of your medical professional, not reading scary postings on the internet.

If you have fear about it being a bad experience, voice your fears and questions to the doctor that is treating you.

your mind is ready to quit and your body will follow, keep a positive mental attitude and don't be afraid to ask questions from the doctor or nurse practitioner. They may refer you both to a good FTF support group to connect with others that are in the same frame of mind too.

I wish you the best....but really no one should give you medical advice here either for or against....SR has a strict rule about that. trust your doctor and again DON"T believe everything you read on the internet, people tend to *embellish*.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Was not looking for advise at all just a little encouragement that Subs do work & work without sending you into intense wd's the minute you take them like some have posted

Your reply is very encouraging and with no negativity and I thank you for that, since making original post on this subject this morning my mind set has change for the better , 15 minutes before leaving for my wife's appointment and were not turning back now

thank you all here @ SR for ALL the replies even the ones that caused me & my wife anxiety ,, we asked for honesty and I'm sure that is what we received. Just venting helped a lot ,, thanks again to all that posted replies
Old 07-05-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know nothing about subs but yeah, as brilliant as our members are I'd trust my Dr over advice off the internet

best wishes to you and your wife

D
Old 07-05-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

making new post if you care to read , she took her first dose 1-1/2 hours ago
give me 2 minutes and I will start a new post with all details but I will post in the other section Suboxone/Methadone Maintenance or Detox
Old 07-05-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I am on here because I am an alcoholic but my daughter is also here because she is a recovering opiate addict.

I'll alert her to your post. She has been on suboxone and from what I know hasn't experienced any side effects.

I'm sorry that you received negativity. Everyone has to find their own path and just because people didn't agree with your path doesn't make it right for them to be that way towards you.

Best of luck and I'll let my daughter know about this post.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

In all fairness I asked for their experiences and that is what I received ,, good or bad , just so happens several were bad and I wasn't ready for that but all is good now
Old 07-05-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

That's one of the tough parts of a message board sometimes. Ask a question and you will receive the answer. However, it might not be what you want to hear. I thought that someone was outright negative to you and I was extremely surprised because I've never hung out with a better group of people.

I'll tell my daughter about your post, she'd know far more about this and has been actively in recovery for 2 years towards the end of this year.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Not at all ,, everyone on these boards has been extremely respectful
Old 07-05-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I didn't do the sub thing when I kicked opiates (had no medical coverage or money at the time, of course) but I know people who have used that method with talk therapy and close monitoring by a doctor who specializes in addiction and many of them were successful as long as they really wanted to get clean. Don't let what others say deter you from using every resource you possibly can. If your doctor knows what he / she is doing and thinks subs might be best, take that advice and be honest with those trying to help you. Willingness, openness, honesty and determination will get you there somehow. I'm almost 8 months sober from a $100 per day heroin habit. If I can do it anyone can. I'm pretty much the kind of addict who wasn't sure ANYTHING could work but eventually I got tired enough and fed up enough to do whatever I had to. Any method you choose will involve some discomfort and commitment to a new way of life! Maybe look into NA too? Just some ideas.

Good luck man I know you guys can get past this.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks BabyJane ,
by the way my doctor didn't choice the Subs we did, once we decided that Subs was the way we wanted to try we then searched out a doctor. Luckily enough we found one thru our insurance ( Kaiser ) all it cost us was a $20 co-pay and $10 for the prescription, compared to the $5400 a month we were spending on Oxy's that is nothing. We are now on a path to getting our finances back in order too I hope. We wiped out my 401k , maxed out all of our credit cards and have several personal loans out there ,, but none of that seems as bad now knowing there is light at the end of the tunnel