Notices

Three Excellent Addiction Movies

Old 07-01-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Crazy Heart, Jeff Bridges movie from 2009
Old 07-01-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

That's why I liked "smashed"...it was very realistic all around and touched on everything!
Old 07-01-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

The first rule of SR is.....
LOL Ultimate guy flick IMHO. Lot's of addiction lessons. Pick a Power Power Animal! or HP!

Originally Posted by thekl0wn View Post
I recently watched Fight Club again (a favorite), and I can relate a lot of that movie to my alcoholism. Heck, I tell the GF, "I'm off to fight club" when I'm going to an AA meeting.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Are there any documentaries out there? Like "Super Size Me" about fast food. If not, there should be for good public awareness that what people are drinking is socially-brainwashed, socially-accepted and promoted, attractively packaged, poison.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlexaDaly View Post
Are there any documentaries out there? Like "Super Size Me" about fast food. If not, there should be for good public awareness that what people are drinking is socially-brainwashed, socially-accepted and promoted, attractively packaged, poison.
The biggest problem alcoholics face is shame from perceived failure of character from the general population. If there is a good documentary about addiction and alcoholism I know a few dozen people I'd give it to. I still like some books on addiction (beyond the influence, etc) but people won't read a book on addiction unless they are addicts. A film is much more consumable and shareable.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ElegantlyWasted View Post
The first rule of SR is.....
LOL Ultimate guy flick IMHO.
Ha! Fight Club ranks way up there for me, and I'm not a guy. But I tend to think like a guy sometimes, apparently

I thought Fight Club was philosophical more than "guy flick" though, just my opinion.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Ha! Fight Club ranks way up there for me, and I'm not a guy. But I tend to think like a guy sometimes, apparently

I thought Fight Club was philosophical more than "guy flick" though, just my opinion.
Should have said Ultimate Thinking Guy's Guy Flick. Very Anarcho-Capitalist IMHO.

Kinda pokes fun at us in a way... It's kinda like "Wow we can be such creepy materialist creatures at time"... Oh! Wait! Brad Pitts leather Jacket is really cool!

Another good classic... Clean and Sober... Heavy on the Drama.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Alcohol is not my drug of choice, but there was a time when I used to fantasize and talk about going out like Nic Cage in Leaving Las Vegas, no joke.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by MyTimeNow View Post
Is this the one with - Leonardo Di Caprio? Uppers/downers? I saw it at the cinema if it is when it came out. I was happily sober then *sigh* I remember it being very powerful. I'll happily watch it again.
Yes that is it
Old 07-01-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Sober Today

So I told DH tonight that I want to see Flight and he informed me that we did see it. Apparently I was too drunk to have any recollection of it. Oh the irony. sigh
Old 07-01-2013, 11:46 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Just before I sobered up, my mom told me about an old movie called The Days of Wine and Roses (maybe she was trying to tell me something)..how she saw it at the movies with a friend and how tragically sad it was. Drinker meets teetotaler..coaxes her into a drink, romance ensures..marriage, child..both end up raging alcoholics..he sobers..she doesn't. Would love to find it somewhere.

Love this thread..and will definitely look for some of the aforementioned I haven't seen.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Days of Wine and Roses is excellent too...I rented it from Netflix...
Old 07-02-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
A great but little known one

THE BASKETBALL DIARIES
I liked reading the book in high school. There's a lot of stuff in it that a high school guy will find "cool" especially if he plays basketball and likes the arts.

THE LOST WEEKEND is a classic that I watch every few years. Watch it if you ever forget how it is to be obsessed with alcohol.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Here's one that is not about alcoholism but I found inspiring in my struggle to make the break from drinking.
Castaway - starring Tom Hanks
What I related to was that, in order to get back to real life, he was going to have to totally commit and leave his island life behind. He had to decide that life on the island wasn't worth living and take a chance floating on a makeshift raft across the Pacific Ocean.
Now, THAT'S commitment.

And here's a clip from another non-alcoholic movie that speaks to total commitment.