Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Partner of recovering alcoholic looking for friends in similar situation

Notices

Old 06-25-2013, 05:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi everyone
I decided to join this site to see if I can meet anyone in the same boat as me or to see if any of you have any advice for me

I have been with my partner for 7 months now and he is a recovering alcohol who has been sober for about 18 months..

I love him to bits and want to support him as best I can whilst still looking out for myself. To do this, I think I need to know as much about addiction as possible. We are doing great but sometimes I feel like I need more information on how to deal with when he is "triggered" or if he were to ever relapse ..

I am also looking for friends to talk to about getting through the difficulties that come with dating a recovering alcoholic.

I have been to alanon but this seems to be full of people who are living with alcoholics who are still drinking. I feel like my situation is different to this but I still need support.

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

As I am an ALCOHOLIC and in have chosen SOBRIETY, I might not be able to offer much advice. Keep going to all the support groups you can for family/friends of people with addiction.

I am not only an Alcoholic who has chosen sobriety, but I am also an ENABLER. Please do not let yourself become one.

Best wishes and keep posting.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Try a post in Friends and Family. I no longer drink and am doing an interesting balancing act right now trying not to enable my significant other who continues to imbibe. Again, for advice and people more focused on you specific situation give "Friends and Family" a post.