Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know the laws re: intensive outpatient and work finding out?

Notices

Old 06-24-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have an awesome job, but also have an appointment tonight for an IOP assessment. My insurance covers a fair amount, but I'm terrified of work finding out. Does anyone know how this works as far as privacy? I am in Ohio if that helps. I'm debating paying out of pocket just to keep this off of my record. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm pretty certain that medical records are kept private, meaning your workplace shouldn't get access to that info. But not entirely sure how this works. Others will chime in.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

What is it about working finding out that scares you? Social stigma or job security?
Old 06-24-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Non - both social stigma and job security. I drive a company vehicle and am really worried about work finding out. IOP is at night, so it would not interfere with my work schedule. I'm just not sure how much my employer can find out. They do have an addiction program, but I just cannot bring myself to go through it.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

It's a violation of federal law to terminate someone for alcohol dependency. I believe its the Americans with Disabilities Act that covers this.

If you attended rehab and they fired you and didn't tie it directly to documented poor work performance you would have a very strong legal case against your employer.

Mrs. Non, who hires and fires regularly in her job, HATES it when an employee admits to her they are an alcoholic. Even if they are/were a poorly performing employee it puts them in a protected class.

The social stigma is something else. Can't help you there.

Good Luck!
Old 06-24-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Magrich, check this recent thread to see if it helps. Specifically look at Gracie Lou's detailed post.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l-records.html
Old 06-25-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I recently spent four days in in-patient detox.

FMLA prevents your place of employment from firing you for spending time in the hospital. Work with a social worker and your company's HR. I got lucky and all my department needed was something that said I was cleared to go back to work.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Can HR find out though if it's an IOP and the meetings are at night outside of work? I do not want HR or anybody knowing at all.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by MagRich View Post
Can HR find out though if it's an IOP and the meetings are at night outside of work? I do not want HR or anybody knowing at all.
Unless you have signed some kind of agreement with your employer that allows them access to your medical records, they cannot access them without a court order.

All that aside though, if your drinking/usage is to the level that you require IOP treatment - do you seriously value someone at work finding out over getting better?