Notices

Tempted

Old 06-22-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tempted

I want to walk into town and drink a few beers. I only have 24 days of sobriety. I want to meet a girl and dance. I can't be alone all the time.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Why not go somewhere that sober people hang out an meet a girl?
Old 06-22-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

All of the things you list can be done without alcohol. In fact, you are probably MORE likely to remain alone of you drink. Is that what you want?
Old 06-22-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No. I am going to the coffeeshop then the bookstore.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don't throw it all away just to meet a girl. I think the person you will find will not be the type of girl to hang out in bars all of the time.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
LDT

I am a much better dancer when I'm sober. I bet you are, too, Acheleus. And the coffee shop/bookstore sounds like a great idea to me
Old 06-22-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Volunteering is a great way to meet people and to give back.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Don't throw 24 days away. That's a great accomplishment. And it will get better. It probably wouldn't be a few beers anyways. Even if it was a few this time, you'd eventually end up where you were when you decided to join an alcoholic forum. Then probably end up worse than that. Just not worth it. I think the bookstore is a great idea!
Old 06-22-2013, 09:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Went and danced by myself at anoutdoor concert. I did not talk to any girls, I still need to figure out how to do that. But I had fun and walked a lot. Everyone it seemed was smoking and it hurt my throat. Now I know what people used to give me dirty looks for when I lit up. So I bought a seven dollar sonny rollins cd instead of buying drinks. Now I am going to get something to eat then do my long walk. I am still not over my ex gf and I think that iswhy I have no confidence with women. So I will work on just talking to women. I hope everyone is having a good sober weekend.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Great job!!! and you will see, your confidence will increase and soon enough you'll be talking to girls
Old 06-22-2013, 10:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yea I sure hope so. I did tell one girl that I liked her dress. I'm feeling stronger every day.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Acheleus View Post
I want to walk into town and drink a few beers. I only have 24 days of sobriety. I want to meet a girl and dance. I can't be alone all the time.
Its normal to long for that lifestyle this early in your recovery, but know that if you go, you will have to start over in the future. Its easy to think you miss those activities when the addiction is still running strong, but you wont always feel like this. You will learn to meet people sober and still have fun and enjoy your nights out, but without alcohol interfering. Alcohol stunts your growth and development, and now its time to learn to function and be present in your life without turning to alcohol as a crutch.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Why are you tempted to put yourself back in to a black hole, it really is beyond reason why you would want to drink, you've done it before.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was just being honest and posted how I felt earlier, and I needed some clear sighted people to tell me how stupid the thought of wanting to drink is. Sometimes I get cravings and it's all my mind can think about, it just thinks about drinking. But I feel better that I faced how I felt and still danced by myself and had a really good mango/orange smoothie from the coffee shop. A lot in my life is changing just because I quit drinking and smoking, and so I have to face it and I don't want to go back to that destructive lifestyle, but it seems so pervasive where I live(college town) and so I am having to reorient my self and how I go about living. Thanks all for your support and help. I can't tell you how important SR is to me. I am glad this is a resource for people like me who need help.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Keep going. Be honest with yourself and tell yourself you can't drink, you have done it before and know where it will all end up. Don't listen to the AV in your head.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I keep thinking about the awful things I did while drunk and I remind myself I cannot touch alcohol. It was better to dance and lusten to music than be drunk.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Once i got sober i found it nice to go to concerts and remember what i was watching , listening and who i was talking to .

Congratulations on doing it sober

Bestwishes, M
Old 06-23-2013, 12:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I keep thinking about the awful things I did while drunk and I remind myself I cannot touch alcohol. It was better to dance and lusten to music than be drunk.
I have, over the years, been to some fantastic concerts, ballets, plays and can't remember most of them! What a waste! Glad you had a good sober time and have the memory of the concert and the music and enjoying yourself.