Notices

1st meeting today, very nervous!!

Old 06-22-2013, 01:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1st meeting today, very nervous!!

Morning all

I'm twenty days sober but am pretty much obsessing over drinking most of the time. I'm depressed,anxious, lonely and to be honest feel totally lost.

I can't do this on my own, I've tried many times before, so for this reason I've finally plucked up courage to attend an AA meeting later this morning. It's a "Women Living Sober" meeting and am not sure what to expect. Can anyone let me know what this sort of meeting involves? Sooooo scared, but also a little excited 😬

Many thanks
Old 06-22-2013, 01:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Britgirl
I'm afraid I have no personal experience but I'm sure others will be along soon.

A general intro to AA meetings (US) can be found here:

Your First AA Meeting<
Old 06-22-2013, 02:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey britgirl ,
I haven't done AA meetings and stuff . My cousin , she does NA . I'm sure you'll meet some nice people , the AA'ers on here seem a friendly bunch .

I'd maybe plan to break the ice by walking up to someone friendly looking or the person organising it and saying i'm new to this and am a bit nervy .

Good luck , M
Old 06-22-2013, 02:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am not sure about the UK. I am in the US but here most newcomers are welcomed. Many introduce themselves and offer their phone numbers either before or after the meeting.

The meeting will come to order at the starting time and then some readings are done. The chairperson will introduce themselves and the type of meeting it is.

Usually some type of AA reading is done. Most often the AA preamble. Then the meeting starts. In some cases they go around the room and introduce themselves. "I am GracieLou and I am an alcoholic" Not all do this. Depends in the meeting. If you don't want to say anything you can pass or just say your name. It is up to you.

Do you know what type of meeting it is? Lead meeting, discussion, Big Book?
Old 06-22-2013, 03:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sunshinescooby

Don't be nervous.. Be proud that you are brave and strong to seek out help. I did my first two meetings last week they were awesome.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

After your meeting you're gonna wonder why you had been so nervous.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You may only want to say your first name and maybe say that your new either at the introduction or as the meeting goes on, that's all. You MAY want to elaborate with what you wrote above in other words you have a # of choices. A suggestion for all relativity newcomers is to decide even before the meeting starts to not share. That way I was able to concentrate on what others were saying instead of thinking what I'd say. I might share when it came my turn if I felt like it.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Good for you! So proud of you.

I have been to two and I was terrified walking into the first one. But at both meetings people were very friendly and welcoming, and they ask at the beginning if anyone is new. I raise my hand, tell them my name, and they all say welcome and/or make noises like hmm wow, sounding all impressed that I'm there. This is very nice because I felt so ashamed even needing to be there in the first place but they made me feel proud for taking that first step.

I'm trying a women's meeting today that was recommended to me by a lady at my last meeting. Really looking forward to it!

Good luck and be brave.