Notices

Finding my Impulse control

Old 06-13-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finding my Impulse control

Has led to most of my recent problems Am curious if anyone knows any websites or reading that may help w\ that .. I have none is the problem lol Sober or Drunk .. I say what I want no matter how much of a "jab" it seems or anything; then I spend the next lord knows when regretting ever saying it doing it whatever it is . Even in emails when you can NOT send them .. I just type then hit send regardless of the content .. Or maybe it is all a lack of common sense cause I have noticed I type posts then sometimes just stare and reread and stare :p
Old 06-13-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Lol I'm the same way . Good or Bad .I recently posted to a thread , before sending , hesitate , hesitate, Reread , Apologize For Sending ,Then send . It's Who I Am . No Matter What I Say Or Do I Wonder If It Was The Right Thing. If I Don't Then I'll Think, Well I Should Have. Does That Make Sense ?
Old 06-13-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yea; but in any other aspect I DONT hesitate I just act an do it ... I dont understand it .
Old 06-13-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Well, not sure if it's the case but urge surfing I think can be applied to controlling impulses in general.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

As for staring, reading, re-reading - I think it's quite normal. Words are powerful tool and we've learned to be cautious about them. I'm setting for myself deadlines when writing e-mails - after all, the world won't collapse if I send it).

Meditation in general helps to control impulses. I'm still far from being perfect controlling mines, but still better after practicing meditation. Though never thought it would work for me.

Afer all - impulse is just impulse. A spark that dies if you don't feed it and turn into fire.

Take care)
Old 06-13-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yea I will have to look into it .. It just boggles my mind how I can be so stupid about things sometimes .. Thanx MB Triky .
Old 06-13-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I used to say things I later regretted. Especially when drinking, but also when sober. I finally had to teach myself to say what I was thinking inside my head, distinctly inside my head, repeat it inside my head, before I was allowed to say it out loud. A lot of times I would end up never saying it out loud. Made for some occasional long pauses in conversation, but I ended up teaching myself to think before I speak.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ohhhhhhhhhhh Yea lol I so did that the other night when I had my "talk" but now I need to take it a step farther an train myself w\ emails as well .. I am sure there are other aspects in my life too ... Purchasing stupid things at times I remember; or not stupid but things I really need ..
Old 06-13-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, the email rule is, you are supposed to write the email then leave it. Go to sleep and when you wake the next day, re-read the email and see if it is still valid.
Not always practical.
Shopping.....same thing. Wait 24 hours.
I have had to start implementing the 'want' or 'need' theory to shopping. Only purchase 'needs'. 'sigh', it is hard.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yea these emails waiting is not an option lol I mean sometimes they need to know ASAP and everyone knows I HATE the phone; cause I hate talking to people sadly I hate being around people ..