Notices

Im an alcoholic

Old 06-13-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Im an alcoholic

Hi all,

Im an alcoholic who has recognised the problem and now looking at ways to deal with it.

Its pretty bad and im close to losing my job.

Any support would be great.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Welcome. Thought about AA, SMART etc.?
Old 06-13-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR

Read around, there's a wealth of information here, and lots of really supportive people. Glad you're here x
  # 4 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by alcoholic123 View Post
Hi all,

Im an alcoholic who has recognised the problem and now looking at ways to deal with it.

I stayed pretty close to this site at first. It's almost magical they way whenever you come on here there is someone in the exact same spot you are.
  # 5 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome to SR! Glad you are here. This is a great place to get support.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome A123. Recognizing and admitting the problem is a huge step, feel good that you've done that.

So what's next? Do you have a plan? Have you stopped drinking yet? SR is a great place to find resources for all those questions. Seeing your DR isn't a bad idea either just to make sure everything is OK before you quit, they can even help with withdrawals sometimes.

Read lots and ask lots of questions, someone is always here.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Do we really need more alcoholics around here?

Darn right we do!

It's all of us against the addiction. Welcome to the fight.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Today is my 4th day sober. I too could tell I was getting close to losing my job too. Seeing how I would be literally homeless if that were to happen, I chose to make changes. It is not easy but already I'm feeling better about myself and now have hope.

The best thing to do is make a plan of what you want to do to help get yourself sober. (New non-drinking activities, AA meetings, meditation, whatever you think will help.)

Come here as often as you need for support. If you fall on your face, get back up and try again!!! We are here for you and know exactly what you're going through.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you work for a company that is lawfully required to offer FMLA, take advantage of it and go in to Rehab.
Welcome and best wishes.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome! You're taking some pretty good steps by simply posting here. I have 12 days of sobriety and this site has been a lifeline. Stay close.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome. You will find you are not alone. I am on day 68 and I am a new person for it. I was suicidal, depressed, not doing my job, spending myself poor on booze until I felt I hit bottom. SR has helped a lot. There are online chats similar to AA meetings on Tues and Fri and usually a kind ear in the room as well if that would help.

Come back, stick around and we can beat this as a team.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the welcoming replies.
This seems like a busy forum which is good news.

Im quitting again today and will let you all know how I get on.

Thanks
Old 06-14-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

SR also has threads for newcomers by month so join the "Class of June 2013" or "Under 30 days" tread. Some posters in my "class" have become great supporters.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Thought I would update my first thread on sr.

I have failed three times now, longest was 4 days and im still an alcoholic today.

I went to see my psych dr and he has changed my diagnoses to some sort of psycotic illness, maybe paranoid schizoprenia which was my original diagnoses when i started seeing him, but he changed it some months ago. Along with depression and anxiety.

I have had my meds upped to keep my paranoia under control and hopefully help the depression.

Paranoia, anxiety and depression at the same time is horrible and debilitating.

2 years ago I had severe paranoia and couldnt leave my flat, im literally praying at the moment that i dont get that bad again.

I could go on for ages but will leave this post as is.

Hope you are all doing ok.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

im still an alcoholic today.
Does your doctor know you are drinking on these meds? It might be difficult to gage what your problem is if you are mixing alcohol and powerful drugs.

I'm still an alcoholic too...but I'm not drinking.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My paranoia is not related to my drinking, i know that from 2 years ago. I dont think im going to go into detail about my paranoia but its bad, like thinking theres a hidden camera in my tv set and im been watched whilst watching tv. I can dismiss all my paranoia and say to myself "its not real, its not happening" usually a few minutes after the event.

What ive just described is just one tiny bit of my paranoia. Im hoping my increased rispiridone dose will prevent it from getting back to how it was 2 years ago.

My psych dr really wants to help me with my paranoia, and is prepared to try as many drugs as possible to get the right one.

I think my drinking is probably making me more depressed but not anything to do with my paranoia.

Sorry for going on a bit too much.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

All I know is drinking made me ridiculously paranoid - and I don't even have a history of paranoia.

Does your Dr know how much you drink?

D
Old 07-02-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Yeah, I can relate with having had the delusions of the TV watching me. Same with the radio hearing my thoughts. Been there. I couldn't leave my room even to get food from the kitchen or go to the bathroom without hours of detailed mental gymnastics trying to make sure the coast was clear. The coast was never clear, lol. Talk about frightening trips. It was like I had no privacy of mind. I felt like a mental defective alone in a world of telepathic geniuses. My emotions always felt like they were in free fall into a bottomless abyss. This went on for years. Yeah, I could talk for days on end about the crazy delusions from my alcoholic drinking past too.

Undifferentiated schizophrenia was the eventual diagnosis. They knew about my drinking. They believed my alcoholism was secondary and my mental illness primary. I believed it was the other way around, that my drinking was also causing my delusions and illusions.

For me, it turned out that quitting drinking also greatly helped in recognising how deluded my thinking had become. Although this fact does not mean I wasn't damaged from those delusions - just means when I quit drinking, eventually those same delusions could be accepted by me as delusions. Once accepted, they become unthreatening and quickly dismissible.

So, I'm not talking about you, I'm just saying alcohol can clearly cause delusions in our thinking strategies and experiences. This was all back in the late 1970's for me. I finally quit drinking in 1981. Sober ever since.

My alcoholic insanity included schizophrenia. My drinking clearly played a big part in my mental delusions. My quitting clearly made a difference in my being able to realise the truth behind what was deluded thinking and what wasn't.

You might want to re-visit your decision concerning how alcohol only may make you depressed but otherwise has no meaningful or likely contributing factor in your paranoia.

Just a suggestion from someone who has experienced schizophrenia and alcoholism first hand.

In any case, take it easy, and take care. Let your doctor know about your drinking if you haven't talked about with him already.