Notices

Changing the plan - going to AA

Old 06-11-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Changing the plan - going to AA

I wasn't planning to go to a meeting tonight, but really want to go to one. The one last night was so helpful. I've been to the one twice before that I'm going to tonight and wasn't that crazy about it. However I have a new perspective now. I'm going to give it a try with an open mind.

This means the gym is not going to happen tonight, but I really think I need this meeting tonight!
Old 06-11-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

good on ya!! have ya gotten the big book yet? if not, ask for one. more than likely someone will give ya one.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Going to meetings and not drinking inbetween has worked for me
Old 06-11-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is great that you recognize what you really need to do for your recovery...this is awesome!! Get a Big Book like tomsteve said...great inspiration and advice
Old 06-11-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome from a fellow Alabama resident. If you are in Mobile or the surrounding areas I can recommend some good meetings.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

good for you
Old 06-11-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
good on ya!! have ya gotten the big book yet? if not, ask for one. more than likely someone will give ya one.
Several months ago I rented one from the library. Before I realized I truly am an alcoholic. I read a ton of the stories. I plan on getting one of those and the 12 step study book (or whatever the name is lol).

Seeing how my drinking got progressively worse, stopping once starting and moderation are impossible for me, I now know for sure I definitely have a serious problem.

Taking5, in in auburn, but if I'm ever that way I will definitely get ideas for meetings!
Old 06-11-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful

WTG Sinderos! Sobriety comes first, and we have to put effort into it to stay sober.

I would recommend the Big Book to anyone trying to get sober whether they are in AA or not.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I got a Big Book. I definitely liked the meeting last night more than the one tonight. However, until I'm further along I'll still go on Tuesday nights. One good thing is I got three phone numbers so if I need to talk to someone I have three options and of course SR!!!
Old 06-11-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sinderos View Post
Taking5, in in auburn, but if I'm ever that way I will definitely get ideas for meetings!
War Eagle! I'm an Auburn alum And from the Lake Martin area just west of Auburn.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

xa-speakers.org

Old 06-11-2013, 09:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good for you Sinderos! I started going to a Tuesday Noon AA meeting . I thought it's alright...till I find something " better ". Well, I went the next day, then Thursday etc etc. Now 6 months later I call this meeting my home group. I truly look forward to each day, I LOVE sobriety!!
Old 06-11-2013, 09:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Sinderos View Post
I wasn't planning to go to a meeting tonight, but really want to go to one. The one last night was so helpful. I've been to the one twice before that I'm going to tonight and wasn't that crazy about it. However I have a new perspective now. I'm going to give it a try with an open mind.

This means the gym is not going to happen tonight, but I really think I need this meeting tonight!

Go to as many of them as you feel the need to, and know that you aren't wasting your time or overdoing it. Anything that benefits your sobriety, is worth it.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good on ya! Way to make you and your sobriety a priority by doing what you knew you needed to do for you. That's so awesome.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am happy you got a BB. They have meetings all the time so you can figure them into your schedule quite easy. I go to five meetings a week. I went last night. The meeting is a lead meeting and at first sight I thought, this should be interesting. Well, I can tell you, never judge a book by its cover.

Some of the very first things she shared I could relate to. I was like NO WAY. I have been having a hard time with resentments and letting go of them and this person had some of the exact same occurrences happen in her life that I had in mine. I mean two were spot on. What are the chances.

I called my sponsor after the meeting to tell her about it. It never fails to amaze me not only that we are not alone, and not just that we are alcoholics, but that ever time I seem to struggle with something that some type of help is placed right in my path.