Notices

New member needs help

Old 06-10-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Keep strong Joe. We are here to support you if you need us.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:58 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Well, made it thru day 1 with the help of my loving wife. Slept pretty good, just had some crazy dreams. No trouble falling asleep, no sweats and no restless legs. Spent a lot of time on this site yesterday, which definatley helped my success even if it was only one day. The worrying about the damage I am sure I have caused to my liver from the years of heavy, dailydtdrinking is starting to kick in. I can't believe I would risk my life and posibbly trade years of time with my family for the bottom of a bottle. Fell pretty bad about that, but I can't change the past, only focus on the future and my recovery. Thanks to everyone that helpede get thru day one.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
BLJ

Good luck on your sobriety. I can only tell you what I have done....that is I realized I couldn't do it alone and went to AA....I got a sponsor, someone I could call 24/7 if I needed to, someone who had a number of years of sobriety so that they knew what I was experiencing, someone to work through the steps. I went to meetings, and eventually, I sponsored people. Everyone can quit drinking...the question is can they stay stopped? This is a deadly affliction...been to funerals, seen people destroyed and destroying others. I am very thankful for my recovery and have lots of gratitude for 18 years sober. How willing are you to do what you have to do in order to stay sober. Your self knowledge of knowing you have a drinking problem and your self will will be of no avail. How has it worked for you so far?? You aren't alone in this unless you decide you want to go it alone on your own.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joe8526 View Post
That was exactly my routine. Go home and fix a drink, then basically sit around and do nothing cause it would interfear with my drinking time. I am looking forward to getting back into the stuff I loved to do before but couldn't cause I was drinking. I am also excited to finally have a little extra cash instead of wasting it all on alcohol.
Our bodies are on a schedule so it might be that at the time your thirsty for fluids other than alcohol. Sometimes sweet drinks work as the body is probably needing sugar. BE WELL
Old 06-11-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support. BJL, not sure what you mean by going alone. If that was the case I would have never written that first post. I am glad to hear about your 18 years sober and envy what you have accomplished. I also think AA is a great tool for some people, just not for me right now, or maybe it is and I don't realize. With the support of my family I have made it my first day on my road to recovery. It is a small step, but a step none the less. I have to do what I think is right, and that is what I'll do. If I fail, I'll step back and reevaluate why I failed, and what I can do to make sure it doesn't happen again. I am not so oblivious to the fact that at any point in time I can slip back to the drinking. I just have to be strong enough to not allow myself to do it, and I'm not superman I will have moments when I am weak. But that is when I will turn to my family or the wonderful people that have shown support here to help keep me strong. Thank you all.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Joe,
Stick with it. All is not lost. I had severe gout, aching in my liver, neurological issues, boarderline diabetic..... All of it went away when I quit. 6 months after I quit, I had normal numbers with my bloodwork. Your body can recover, but you need to quit and stay quit. I drank up to a 5L box of wine every 3 days for many years. If I can do it, you can.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Awesome, glad to hear your healthy again and thanks for the support. It is hearing stories like that that give me hope I may just make it out of this without too much damage. I got to make it out first, then time will only tell just how lucky I may have been.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
BLJ

Joe...do it your way......Good Luck and congrats on 1 day
Old 06-11-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks, you have no idea how bad that truck wanted to turn into that liquor store on my way home from work. But I made it, another small victory for now at least. Think I'll have some iced tea and destress from work for a bit then find something to occupy my time that doesn't involve drinking.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

How's it going Joe? I'm hoping that today I start on Day 1. I've tried before, gotten through two weeks, but fell off.

Wishing you all the best.