Notices

Hello

Old 06-10-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Hey everyone, my name is Brian and I'm an alcoholic. Unfortunately (no offense) I am not really a newcomer to this site or recovery, but after 2 failed attempts at staying sober long term, I am here on my third attempt. Mainly a beer drinker, but will drink about anything once I get going. Like many of us, I've often told myself I could handle a single or a couple drinks and done alright with it for a while, but it always ends up the same with daily binges and eventually each time out being worse than the one before it. I've enjoyed reading the forums for a while and relate to many of the posts I read. I am here now because after years of struggle, I am ready to stop completely. Alcohol is truly cunning, baffling, powerful and no longer something I was to continue to contest. One day I will tell my whole story here, but hopefully the turning point is today. I look forward to posting and interacting with all of you. Also, does this site offer online AA meetings? I live out in a rural area and am without a car presently. I am able to make it to some in person AA groups, but not as often as I feel I need. Thank you all for reading.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
oak

Welcome Brian! I am glad you made it back. I don't think this site has online AA meetings, but I might be wrong. Someone else here will know. Does the main AA site offer online meetings? I hope you find the support you need.
Take good care of yourself.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome back Brian!

Maybe two failed attempts means you're closer to having success. You've learned something and you're ready to be free of it.

I was determined to control what I drank, too. It never worked once. One drink was always ten. It was becoming dangerous and unpredictable every time I picked up. It was great to have it out of my life - and you can definitely get there. Please keep reading and posting.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Brian. Glad to hear you are making a choice to better your life. Lots of resources here at SR, although no online AA meetings. There is a chat room though and there are almost always some folks there, and there are people from all over the world online 24/7 here in the standard forums.

I personally use SR as my main support system, and it is an invaluable tool to me to be able to read others stories, offer support when I can, and receive answers and support to my questions. Feel free to share as much or as little as you like regarding your story too, there are plenty of good listeners here as well.

Best of luck and welcome once again!
Old 06-10-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Originally Posted by Brian316 View Post
...Mainly a beer drinker, but will drink about anything once I get going...
Me to. I drank A LOT OF BEER. And many times when the beer ran out I would open a bottle of wine or whatever else I could find. Just discovered an empty rum and tequila bottle yesterday hidden the garage I had forgotten about. You're doing the right thing. Not easy, but be strong. It's worth it. Over 7 months since my last. You can do this. One day at a time.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all. This is actually day 3 for me and while I see this could be a bumpy road ahead, I think it's going to be alot better ride when the person in the car has all his wits about him. I actually started my morning by taking probably at least 100 or so empty beer bottles out of my basement and depositing them in the dumpster. Now on to some afternoon chores. Thank you for listening!
Old 06-10-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, Brian.

In addition to the chat room that people have mentioned, there are also chat meetings. I know there's one on Friday nights, and I think there's one on Tuesday nights.

I haven't "attended" one, but I believe you can find more information here: Chat Meetings and Chat Discussions - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Welcome and good luck.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

We don't offer online AA meetings here Brian but there are a number of sites who offer just that. Google would be a great start

We do offer general recovery themed meetings on Tuesday and Friday nights at 9pm EST
Originally Posted by TheChatPeople

MEETING PROTOCOL

Topic's related to Recovery will be the basis of sharing each week. There will be "NO Cross Talking" permitted during the meeting.!! If you need to discuss something with another member please do so in a private message. If you would like to share during the meeting please indicate your intention to do so by typing an exclamation point !. When you are finished type "Done". Please wait until the I call upon you.

We ask that you remember the meeting is only one hour and to be considerate of the time you use. If you need to leave before the meeting has ended do so quietly. If you feel strongly about what someone is saying you may acknowledge them with a one or two word phrase or emoticon, please no audio-emoticons during the meeting. When you are finished sharing please type the word "DONE
D
Old 06-10-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome to SR! Glad you are here.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the info! I actually did look at Google and found some places for online meetings. Angelina, btw I really like your signature quote. The world has told me to give up many times and now is one of them so those words are inspiring. Anyway, I am actually on Day 4 today and it is getting better. My first in person meeting in several months was Saturday (Day 1) and I am going to see about hitting another tomorrow. It was good to hear from several people there fairly new with similar histories to mine. In the meantime these forums are a great asset to me and I hope to be able to read and contribute.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR. Do try the chat meetings if you want to. This site is a great place for support.